Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dsteller

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Has anyone found an upgrade for my mid-2013 Macbook Air? I'm really needing the SSD space. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^That's just a How-To, it doesn't answer the OP's question. I know that both OWC and Transcend are working on solutions for late model MBAs. From past experience, I would steer clear of OWC. I have a Transcend unit in my 2012 MBA that's working perfectly.

Lou

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
^^^^That's just a How-To, it doesn't answer the OP's question. I know that both OWC and Transcend are working on solutions for late model MBAs. From past experience, I would steer clear of OWC. I have a Transcend unit in my 2012 MBA that's working perfectly.

Lou

look at the bottom of that page.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Yep, I did.

Lou

Attachments

• Not For Sale.jpg
    Not For Sale.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 206

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Those companies have been promising SSD upgrades "real soon now" for almost two years…. :rolleyes:

I think you will just need to find ways to deal with it (network storage perhaps?) unless you can find one that has been removed from another Mac. Only other option would be selling and getting another MBA with a larger SSD.

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
Those companies have been promising SSD upgrades "real soon now" for almost two years…. :rolleyes:

I think you will just need to find ways to deal with it (network storage perhaps?) unless you can find one that has been removed from another Mac. Only other option would be selling and getting another MBA with a larger SSD.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/Macbook-Air-11-Inch-and-13-Inch-Mid-2013-Early-2014-SSD/IF188-105

it's just really expensive. can't do anything about it.

512 for 600 bucks.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Interesting, have never seen these. Are they Apple SSD's that have been pulled out of a computer? The 512 says it is out of stock….

I already have the i7/8gb/512gb MBA myself. :)

andycho7

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2013
Speaking of SSD upgrade, I happened to have a spare 256GB PCIe SSD from 2013 11" MBA and I just got myself a new (never opened) 2013 11" MBA with base config (128GB).

I know swapping out SSD and OS install is dead simple, but my main concern is the warranty. I've called the Apple Store and confirmed that it DOES void the warranty AND Apple Store would not offer to swap the SSD that was pulled out from the exactly the same model from the same year(2013 11" MBA). Sounds really stupid & silly but that is what they said. Honestly, I never pay for "computer service & repair" fees, but I am wiling to pay however long it takes them to swap the drive with their usual 1 hour rate (though it should literally take like 10 minutes or less) JUST to keep my warranty.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone here knows whether I can just pop in my 256GB SSD in and when my MacBook needs to be serviced, would swapping out SSD to the original one not void the warranty? I know it's "my choice" to do such thing or not, but I'm just throwing this out there see if anyone had the similar experience or know anything about it.

On the plus note I know this sounds really silly, but would they be able to find out via software log by any chance? I guess there is no way for them to find out via hardware, unless there's a warranty sticker or it clearly shows that the screw that's holding the SSD is all stripped down or something.

Thanks in advance for any help!

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
On the plus note I know this sounds really silly, but would they be able to find out via software log by any chance? I guess there is no way for them to find out via hardware, unless there's a warranty sticker or it clearly shows that the screw that's holding the SSD is all stripped down or something.

Thanks in advance for any help!

To my knowledge there is no way for them to tell if you've opened your MBA. I've opened mine and didn't see any broken stickers or anything.

It's technically possible that they have some internal flash memory that records information about the hardware, i.e., what drives have been installed. I haven't heard of such a thing.

It's also technically possible that information about your hardware is uploaded to Apple but I seriously doubt this--if anybody ever found out, it would be an embarrassment for Apple.

In other words, I think you should be able to swap drives no problem.

andycho7

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2013
To my knowledge there is no way for them to tell if you've opened your MBA. I've opened mine and didn't see any broken stickers or anything.

It's technically possible that they have some internal flash memory that records information about the hardware, i.e., what drives have been installed. I haven't heard of such a thing.

It's also technically possible that information about your hardware is uploaded to Apple but I seriously doubt this--if anybody ever found out, it would be an embarrassment for Apple.

In other words, I think you should be able to swap drives no problem.

Thank you for your quick reply. I know my mileage may vary but I just wanted to double check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.