Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Feb 23, 2006, 08:52 PM   #1
white89gt
macrumors regular

Questions about XCode

I'm new to the idea of writing programs for the Mac platform and have a few questions.

1. Is XCode on the OSX Tiger install DVD?
2. It XCode a lot like C/C++?

I know these questions have probably been asked before so please forgive me...I couldn't find what I was looking for using the search.

Thanks in advance.
white89gt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:37 PM   #2
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Yes xcode is on the dvd i think it is called developer tools. scode ia a part of that.

Well sorta, xcode lets you compile in c++. xcoded isn't a language but more an application that lets you debug programs and such.

If anyobe has a better explanation feel free to add
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:17 PM   #3
plinden
macrumors 68040

I would describe xcode as an IDE (integrated development environment) that allows you to write code for the Mac. It's kind of like MS's Visual Studio (I've haven't used either to any great extent, but that's my initial impression - correct me if I'm wrong).

But unlike Visual Studio, it's free, and allows you to write code for C/C++, Obj-C, Java and AppleScript/Automator, in other words just about anything you need to write any kind of code for the Mac.
plinden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:29 PM   #4
mrichmon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by white89gt
1. Is XCode on the OSX Tiger install DVD?
2. It XCode a lot like C/C++?
Yes, XCode is part of the Developer Tools suite of programs. The installer for Developer Tools is on the OS X Tiger install DVD but is not part of the OS X installer. You need to separately run the Developer Tools installer after you have installed OS X. If you have a decent broadband connection then you may be better off downloading the current Developer Tools installer from the Apple site since Developer Tools have been updated a couple of times since Tiger was released. The current version of XCode is 2.2 and can be downloaded here.

XCode is not a programming language. C and C++ are programming languages. Rather, XCode is an Integrated Development Environment (IDE). An IDE is an application that you use to write programs. So, you can use XCode to write programs in C and C++ or Java or Objective-C.

The "Integrated" part of IDE just means that all of the tasks (or at least the common tasks) necessary to develop programs can be done in the IDE. Without an IDE you would need to use a stand-alone editor to write your C code and then saving the file before using a stand-alone compiler to compile the code, followed potentially by a stand-alone debugger to debug the application.

XCode uses standard compilers and debugging tools such as gcc and gdb under the covers so it accurately conforms to well defined language standards.
mrichmon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 03:05 AM   #5
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrichmon
XCode is not a programming language. C and C++ are programming languages. Rather, XCode is an Integrated Development Environment (IDE). An IDE is an application that you use to write programs. So, you can use XCode to write programs in C and C++ or Java or Objective-C.
Just to avoid any misunderstandings: XCode comes complete with C, C++, Objective-C and Java, so once XCode is installed, you have everything you need to start writing C or C++ programs.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 03:54 AM   #6
Soulstorm
macrumors 68000

Xcode will also allow you to write all kinds of application that use a Graphic Interface.
Soulstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 03:58 AM   #7
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrichmon
The current version of XCode is 2.2
2.2.1, actually. If you're still using 2.2 then you should upgrade, whether you need to or not!
Nermal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 08:23 AM   #8
white89gt
macrumors regular

Thanks for the replys. I'm not sure what version of XCode is on my installer DVD, but I do have one of the new Intel iMac's so it should be pretty new.

One more question, does anyone know of any good websites that offer tutorials on obj-c or java?
white89gt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 08:39 AM   #9
robbieduncan

Quote:
Thanks for the replys. I'm not sure what version of XCode is on my installer DVD, but I do have one of the new Intel iMac's so it should be pretty new.

One more question, does anyone know of any good websites that offer tutorials on obj-c or java?
For ObjC try Cocoa Dev Central or the first tutorials in the Cocoa stuff (start at the bottom) at Mac Dev Center.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:38 AM   #10
AlmostThere
macrumors 6502a

Location: The royal throne of kings, the sceptred isle, the other Eden, the fortress built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal
2.2.1, actually. If you're still using 2.2 then you should upgrade, whether you need to or not!
On that point ... what is it with Apple making a 0.0.1 upgrade an 850 Mb download?
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:59 AM   #11
Josh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstorm
Xcode will also allow you to write all kinds of application that use a Graphic Interface.
As well as apps that run in the command line too.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 09:13 PM   #12
Nermal

Quote:
My Intel came with 2.2.1
Nermal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 09:26 PM   #13
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostThere
On that point ... what is it with Apple making a 0.0.1 upgrade an 850 Mb download?
Well, it's a full update, capable of updating any older version of Xcode, including 1.x releases. They don't offer different types of updaters based on your current setup like they do for the OS.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 05:19 AM   #14
Soulstorm
macrumors 68000

In each update you will also find a new version of the ADC reference library, but I suppose you can download that as a standalone file...
Soulstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming