Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
I can't believe i'm about to ask this.... here goes.

I know how to create automatic page numbers in Quark via Mater Pages. What I need to know is how to specify the pages that the number actual starts. For example, with a 10 page document, pages 1 and 2(cover, inside cover) aren't numbered, so page 1 is actual page 3. Same goes with pages 9 and 10 (inside back cover & back cover) Does anyone know how to acomplish this sort of page numbering? Thanks!

~e

Sam/B

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2005
Newport - South Wales
Is their a way to do it like bousozoku's suggestion for quark? With the setting up different master pages one do you mean applying a seperate master page with no page numbering on it to the pages you don't want numbering? Because just having no master page applied to the first page doesn't seem to work.

Also are you able to do anything with that annoying first page when you start a new document? Most of my layouts use a 2 page spread and I always have one blank page at the start doing nothing like this:

temp25xz.jpg

Just deleting it drags that page 2 down to a single page layout not sure why you can't add a facing page to that first page? :(

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Sam/B said:
Also are you able to do anything with that annoying first page when you start a new document? Most of my layouts use a 2 page spread and I always have one blank page at the start doing nothing like this:

temp25xz.jpg

Just deleting it drags that page 2 down to a single page layout not sure why you can't add a facing page to that first page? :(

Don't select facing pages when you create a new document and drag single pages next to each other.

I do 6 page roll-folds like this all the time.

Don't criticise a piece of software as being 'annoying' unless you know what you're doing with it.

Sam/B

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2005
Newport - South Wales
lol surely you knew what I meant when I said that though? It wasn't a review of InDesign :rolleyes: I knew their would be a way around it. It's annoying to me because I didn't know a way around it.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Isn't there the notion (or realisation) of a section or a formatting ruler that you can add anywhere in InDesign? I've seen something similar in most publishing applications since the early 1990s.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
eclipse525 said:
Starting a "Section" worked great. I'm not sure InDesign has a similar feature.

Yes it has, they're called... sections. :p

(InDesign 3: Layout>Numbering & Section Options)

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Blue Velvet said:
Yes it has, they're called... sections. :p

(InDesign 3: Layout>Numbering & Section Options)

Ahhh... a WiseAss! <LOL!> Ok, smarty pants, here's another question for you.

I've done the "section" thing and the numbering is correct. Now, how do you print spreads when you have the first two pages at (cover)1 & 2(inside cover), THEN the third page at 1* (beginning of first section) I would need pages 2(inside cover) & 1* to print as a spread. Any idea's?

Thanks

~e

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.