Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
If it has a core duo Ill be on apple's store that day. If not, then I might have to think about it. If they are finally announced it would be a huge relief to finally have made the decision on my first mac.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I doubt it's coming, but if it does, I will be giving it serious thought. I need a new laptop, since mine is passed down from my abusive father (not to us or any people, just his electronics... but we all know that's just as bad). It's rather badly beaten, and needs to simply go rest for, well, the rest of it's short life.

In other words, yes, I might buy one. I don't even care if it's a Duo, though that'd be nice. I just want it to be cheap (cheaper than current would be awesome, same price with a slightly better Edu discount would be good though).

jW

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah I´ll buy one, if they dont announce one I might go for the 12 in pb tho.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Like many others, I am only interested if it has Duo (the ones not used in the MBPs most likely)...otherwise, I can't see it as a "must have" computer.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
dswoodley said:
Like many others, I am only interested if it has Duo (the ones not used in the MBPs most likely)...otherwise, I can't see it as a "must have" computer.

Sadly I think it is probably going to be a solo, I can't imagine Apple putting a duo in the iBook, sorry :eek:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Apple release an Intel-based consumer laptop, therefore I buy. :cool:

The specs and price don't bother me, they'll suffice. Hopefully everyone else has been slurping their Cool Aid™.

nosser

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Orange County California
I already have my intel imac so I dont really care if it's a duo or solo I will end up getting it when it comes out. I'm replacing my pb with a imac/ ibook(macbook) combo instead of the mbp, and since I have an imac I just want it to be cheap and maybe an isight. I really just want the portability for internet, music and dvds.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I sold my iBook and now i'm waiting for whatever apple has to throw at me. Although in the last few weeks i've been looking at those "tabnotes", a laptop which can convert to a tablet. It would be nice to put one in tablet form and sit down on the couch surfing since i do a lot of online reading.

I'd love a core duo 12-13" laptop. I don't care if it's an iBook or MBP, i just need a replacement.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
ieani said:
If it has a core duo Ill be on apple's store that day. If not, then I might have to think about it. If they are finally announced it would be a huge relief to finally have made the decision on my first mac.

CoreDuo
Good graphics card

Then I might be seriously tempted.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Well as the owner of a MBP I'll obviously not be buying an iBook as well! It'll be interesting to see the way this goes.

Same form factor or are we going to finally see a widescreen iBook?
Solo or Duo (or both? They could offer a 1.67Ghz Solo at the low end with a 1.67Ghz Duo as an upgrade option)
FrontRow? Almost certainly.
iSite? Well the iMac has one so quite possibly.
RAM? Probably 512Mb sodered to the logic board with a single slot for expansion...

Edit to add: Graphics! How could I forget. Something less than an X1600? Say an X1300? 64Mb with a 128Mb option perhaps?

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
robbieduncan said:
Well as the owner of a MBP I'll obviously not be buying an iBook as well! It'll be interesting to see the way this goes.

Solo or Duo (or both? They could offer a 1.67Ghz Solo at the low end with a 1.67Ghz Duo as an upgrade option)
RAM? Probably 512Mb sodered to the logic board with a single slot for expansion...

Edit to add: Graphics! How could I forget. Something less than an X1600? Say an X1300? 64Mb with a 128Mb option perhaps?

64mb vram is just way to stingy. Id like to see at least 128, no more 1024x768 res either for that matter...thats just disgusting. Hopefully whatever they announce will actually be shipping in march. If they dont introduce a new ibook/macbook Im picking up a 12 in pb.

Edit: Yes I know the pb is 1024...but it has dvi.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
robbieduncan said:

Exactly!! You got it!
Nevertheless, I have doubts on the screen....
13.3" 16:9 --> yes please!

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
hhhmmmm

generik said:
Sadly I think it is probably going to be a solo, I can't imagine Apple putting a duo in the iBook, sorry :eek:

Here's a question. iBooks have the 1.42GHz G4. Single core PPC. If they put a single core 1.67 (or possibly slower) is there a chance the 1.42GHz G4 will be just as powerful? Therefore - will the new iBook be a power upgrade?

This is why I think they'll put a slower Core Duo. Everything is multi-core multi processor aware now. It needs to be. It's not unforseeable that these iBooks and possibly Intel Mac Mini's will need to decode H.264 at standard resolution (possibly HD for Mac Mini). Apple - get working on offloading H.264 decoding to the GPU ASAP!!

Core Duo Intel - else I'll bag a 12inch PPC iBook when the Intel's come out.

F

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Whiteapple said:
Exactly!! You got it!
Nevertheless, I have doubts on the screen....
13.3" 16:9 --> yes please!

Most likely 16:10. All of Apple's displays are 16:10 so that editors can display 16:9 video with room for palettes etc.

I'd like to see a 13.3" widescreen with a resolution of around 1280x800, it would fit nicely under the 1440x900 screen on the 15.4" MacBook Pro and the 1600x1050 of the 17" MacBook Pro (when that arrives - who knows, could be HD? A 1920x1200 MacBook Pro anyone?)

Of course when Leopard bring resolution independence with it, all laptops could go HD. I'd snap up a 13.3" 1920x1200 MacBook Pro with res. independent UI - imagine just how crystal clear everything would look!!

I could leave the regular UI as is but with nearly twice the pixels representing it - photo quality text anyone - but still have the real estate available for Photoshop and native portrayal of HD films. It would be breathtaking....

Cedd

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2006
Nr London, UK
I have a 0% credit card ready and waiting!

However whether I go for an ibook/macbook has to depend on the specs and the form factor. If it is underpowered or just looks too toy-like then I may have to take the leap and go MBP.

However I can't help worrying that Tuesday may be an ipod event leaving me counting the days yet again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.