Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
I want to order my riMac tomorrow at my local Apple Store. Can all Apple stores do educational discounts?

I will be ordering riMac i7, 1TB, M295, 16GB, AppleCare...and I may pick up a trackpad though I won't be able to use it for a month while I await delivery...

(I don't want to order online as I want to split my payment between a debit card and cash.)

Also, this will be my first Mac buy...so I want to enjoy the buying processing let the salesman, who has typically helped me with my iOS purchases, see that I'm making good on my promise of getting more deeply into the apple ecosystem!

rdewey

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
I want to order my riMac tomorrow at my local Apple Store. Can all Apple stores do educational discounts?

I will be ordering riMac i7, 1TB, M295, 16GB, AppleCare...and I may pick up a trackpad though I won't be able to use it for a month while I await delivery...

(I don't want to order online as I want to split my payment between a debit card and cash.)

Also, this will be my first Mac buy...so I want to enjoy the buying processing let the salesman, who has typically helped me with my iOS purchases, see that I'm making good on my promise of getting more deeply into the apple ecosystem!

Yes. I have bought many macs at the local retail store using my educational discount. You just have to tell them what school/university you study or teach at and they give you the discount. I have not had to show school identification.

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Yes. I have bought many macs at the local retail store using my educational discount. You just have to tell them what school/university you study or teach at and they give you the discount. I have not had to show school identification.

I have had a similar experience as stated above. They're really good about giving the education discount, though I'd imagine they'd ask for a student ID if they had reason to think you weren't a student. I'd bring it just in case.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA

They sure can! They can also give student discounts on Apple Care, even when purchased long after you took home your Mac. As long as you're within the the 1 year period, of course.

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Thanks everyone! I'm gonna get an riMac (ordered) tomorrow!!!

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
Where are you based Op?

In the UK if you order via the educational support pages from your uni you get the discount and 3yr AppleCare included free

Dave

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Where are you based Op?

In the UK if you order via the educational support pages from your uni you get the discount and 3yr AppleCare included free

Dave

California. I am adjunct faculty at a local community college. We have no such uni page.

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Well, I ordered today from the store. They sold it to me through Apple Business and I got a combined discount for my edu and a business discount. My hardware + AppleCare cost was $400 less than had i paid full retail from the website.

I did find out that they are not able to accept split payment through the business program. Oddly their payment system won't allow a credit/debit card to be combined with cash. Here's what I got!

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
• 4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
• 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x8GB
• 1TB Flash Storage
• AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5
• Apple Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad
• Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
• Accessory Kit

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
Well, I ordered today from the store. They sold it to me through Apple Business and I got a combined discount for my edu and a business discount. My hardware + AppleCare cost was $400 less than had i paid full retail from the website.

I did find out that they are not able to accept split payment through the business program. Oddly their payment system won't allow a credit/debit card to be combined with cash. Here's what I got!

• 1TB Flash Storage
• Accessory Kit

That seams like a cracking rig :)

----------

• 1TB Flash Storage
• Accessory Kit

That would be £2,812 in the UK education store

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.