Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
Any reason to add one of these if the iPad doesn't leave home and isn't being used by children. Seems somewhat pointless. Opinions?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Any reason to add one of these if the iPad doesn't leave home and isn't being used by children. Seems somewhat pointless. Opinions?

You are correct and among the above average IQ. Screen protectors are flimsy pieces of plastic that reflect light, quickly get scratched and make your screen look like crap. It's sort of the undercoating of iPads.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Correct. Screen protectors are just a gimmick, and quite pointless. You are paying for scratch resistant glass, why not take advantage of it?

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Because the one time you drop it from only 3" in the kitchen, it will land on the only piece of gravel you didn't sweep up and scratch that gorgeous screen.

I use BodyGuardz glass screen protectors and swear by them.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Has nothing to do with IQ. It's a matter of preference. If it seems pointless don't use one. If you want the added protection then use one.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
You are correct and among the above average IQ. Screen protectors are flimsy pieces of plastic that reflect light, quickly get scratched and make your screen look like crap. It's sort of the undercoating of iPads.

Well, here's the thing. If the screen protector gets scratched exactly what do you think happens to the coating with no screen protector?

OP, today's screen protectors are so good you can't tell they are there. If you use a good one the clarity isn't affected, the feel is the same (or in some cases, better), and that 'once in a great while drop' doesn't impact your use of the most important part of an iPad - the screen.

Some people hate using them for whatever reason. It fully depends on your comfort zone with scratches. Considering the time-span most people keep their iPads scratches are inevitable, even if they are only micro-scratches. If those won't bother you then by all means don't use one.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Unfortunately I don't have the link, but I remember a while back (about a year or two ago) there was an article posted on MR that one company did a drop study and found that screens actually cracked less when there was a screen protector on the device. Somehow it adds extra support to keep the screen intact.

No need to go crazy, either, I always find the cheap ones on Amazon (less than $10 for a three-pack to account for the first one you'll screw up with lots of bubbles) to be just fine.

Mike Delta

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
If you have a case that has some sort of front cover I see no need, if not then looking in to one might not be a bad idea.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I've not used one on any of my devices is over 2 years. I use notability and a microfiber stylus and the screen protector hampers. I don't think they are necessary. I'm careful, but not overly so. My iPad rmini goes with me everywhere in the car etc. and have bounced my car keys off of the screen multiple times and I've never had a scratch.
Your usage may vary.

berthaconners

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
I would recommend using a screen protector... Just to be safe. I use amfilm, and am pretty pleased with theirs. I can barely tell that there is a screen protector on there, it doesnt damage the quality at all. Plus there's added protection

Sparticu$

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
I put a Zagg glass screen protector on my iPad Air 2 the day I got it. You don't even notice that it is there. I payed 729.99 for my iPad and I would like it to stay pristine. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.