Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffreyRashad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
I just purchased a UAD Apollo Twin Audio Interface that requires a Thunderbolt to connect to my Late 2011 Macbook Pro. These Macbook Pros only have 1 Thunderbolt port and I had previously been using that Thunderbolt port to connect my TV/Monitor (via HDMI to thunderbolt) to the Macbook to have 2 different screens (1 on my mac and the other much larger one on my TV Monitor). I figured that connecting both the UAD Apollo Twin + my TV would be as simple as buying a thunderbolt hub/dock/extender but after much searching (going to the Apple store, Radioshack, Amazon, Best Buy, Guitar Center ect.) , I can't find one anywhere. All I really need is a 2nd thunderbolt port, but am not sure what I need to do this.

I found this Belkin Thunderbolt Dock on Amazon (Amazon.com: Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock with 1-Meter Thunderbolt Data Transfer Cable (Compatible with Thunderbolt 2 Technology): Computers & Accessories) and while it has 2 Thunderbolt ports, 1 of them would be needed to be connected to the Macbook leaving me still with only one port for 2 items (UAD Apollo + TV Monitor) in need of the connection. Is there a simple way to get an extra thunderbolt port on a Macbook?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and sorry if this is a relatively simple fix but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.