Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jesse Smith

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2003
Planet Zeekois
2008 iMac has: USB, FireWire, and Ethernet.
2014 iMac has: USB, Thunderbolt, and Ethernet.

My 2008 iMac video card kicked the bucket, so I got a FireWire 800 Cable with 6-Pin Adapter, and an Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter, and connected them. I put the old iMac in target mode, but it doesn't show up in my new iMac. Disk Utility also doesn't register it.

Is it even possible to use a thunderbolt/firewire adapter to put the display-less iMac 2008 into target disk mode, or is there any way to use Ethernet or USB to connect them?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is it even possible to use a thunderbolt/firewire adapter to put the display-less iMac 2008 into target disk mode, or is there any way to use Ethernet or USB to connect them?

Yes it is and I don't know any other way. Could it be that the drive in the 2008 is just dead?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just the video card if this is what it looks like when it dies: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20361483/

:eek: Yeah for sure look like the GPU is a goner there. So you just want to get some data off the drive in there now is all?

I was unclear from your post if single user mode worked? We could use some Terminal commands from there to copy things over to an external drive.

Jesse Smith

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2003
Planet Zeekois
So you just want to get some data off the drive in there now is all?

I was unclear from your post if single user mode worked?

Single user mode does work except for looking like it looks in the images. I also had every thing backed-up on another hard drive. I'm just trying to get in my iMac to get my iTunes settings transferred over, which I couldn't find in the back-up hard-drive, to get my playlist moved over. I think I would need to get the old iMac to show up to my new iMac hard drive, and then go in to the directory and copy it to my new iMac.

Edit two days later: Got it connected. I'm not sure if it just wasn't connected good enough or what!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.