Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Hey everyone,

So I have lately realized that there is a way to run MC on PPC. I am not sure if that is obsolete by now, considering the tutorials I see are about a couple years old, but this is something I want to try out on one of my PPC Macs.

Back in the beta days of Minecraft (I started playing the game in beta 1.5), I used to be able to natively run MC on my iMac G5. In fact, I ran a server on the iMac whilst I played the game on that iMac, with others logged in on the server... and there was no lag! Oh, how the game just gets progressively slower as it updates!

Anyway, I tried downloading the jar/launcher that is said to work, but I don't get any luck out of it. (probably because old tutorials show a version that was current and working then). I am fine if there is no way to get the most current version on a PowerPC Mac---I just want to try it. Does anyone know how to do this? Again, I wasn't able to log in with the PowerPC launcher.

-Thanks

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hey everyone,

So I have lately realized that there is a way to run MC on PPC. I am not sure if that is obsolete by now, considering the tutorials I see are about a couple years old, but this is something I want to try out on one of my PPC Macs.

Back in the beta days of Minecraft (I started playing the game in beta 1.5), I used to be able to natively run MC on my iMac G5. In fact, I ran a server on the iMac whilst I played the game on that iMac, with others logged in on the server... and there was no lag! Oh, how the game just gets progressively slower as it updates!

Anyway, I tried downloading the jar/launcher that is said to work, but I don't get any luck out of it. (probably because old tutorials show a version that was current and working then). I am fine if there is no way to get the most current version on a PowerPC Mac---I just want to try it. Does anyone know how to do this? Again, I wasn't able to log in with the PowerPC launcher.

-Thanks

I think it should work fine as long as the java is as updated as possible. Also, a major difference from when you started playing, is that you need a much newer OpenGL. I'm not sure if powerpc macs will support the latest version of OpenGL, unless the graphic's card is new(er). I was going to try it on my PowerMac G5, but I don't have a 2 button mouse for it, lol. I'll try later today and get back to you. What system are you trying to run it on, because it would have to be very beefy to run it remotely smooth.

PS: Not trying to get myself in trouble by saying this (not sure if this is considered advertising, but I don't mean for it to be that), but I have a Minecraft server. I've had it since 1.4 and now I'm converting it to be a public server that anyone in the world can play on. I'm hoping to have it open on January 1st, so... Just saying ;)

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
I think it should work fine as long as the java is as updated as possible. Also, a major difference from when you started playing, is that you need a much newer OpenGL. I'm not sure if powerpc macs will support the latest version of OpenGL, unless the graphic's card is new(er). I was going to try it on my PowerMac G5, but I don't have a 2 button mouse for it, lol. I'll try later today and get back to you. What system are you trying to run it on, because it would have to be very beefy to run it remotely smooth.

PS: Not trying to get myself in trouble by saying this (not sure if this is considered advertising, but I don't mean for it to be that), but I have a Minecraft server. I've had it since 1.4 and now I'm converting it to be a public server that anyone in the world can play on. I'm hoping to have it open on January 1st, so... Just saying ;)

Oh yeah, I forget to specify the machine I'd like to try this on! I am going to use my DP 2.0Ghz PowerMac G5. Thanks for offering to test it out; I'd really like to try it out on this Mac. I miss the days when I was able to natively play MC on my PowerPC Mac, back when my iMac G5 was my main computer. Also, my brother has had a private server since around 1.4 beta, so I currently play on that. (although recently I haven't been playing as much). However, I would definitely consider playing on your server. Would you need any admins? I am a very responsible admin, BTW.

----------

I showed a guy how to do it, wait and gavinstubers will make a guide. It is possible, i play mc on my ibook G4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3uwjNhslHk&list=UUvDlCreFVOiCQd3IabgQe0Q

Okay, I will check this out too and see what I can do. I'm also aware that Gavin will be looking into it. Hopefully I can achieve this soon.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Oh yeah, I forget to specify the machine I'd like to try this on! I am going to use my DP 2.0Ghz PowerMac G5. Thanks for offering to test it out; I'd really like to try it out on this Mac. I miss the days when I was able to natively play MC on my PowerPC Mac, back when my iMac G5 was my main computer. Also, my brother has had a private server since around 1.4 beta, so I currently play on that. (although recently I haven't been playing as much). However, I would definitely consider playing on your server. Would you need any admins? I am a very responsible admin, BTW.

----------

Okay, I will check this out too and see what I can do. I'm also aware that Gavin will be looking into it. Hopefully I can achieve this soon.

Then you have the exact same PowerMac that I have (I'm sure you remember that from my massive thread about it...) So I will test it later and will get back to you. As for my server, I'm in dire need of developers and admins, so that would be great if you are willing to help out. I will contact you privately with the address, and I ask that you do not share it until it opens. My server was once a private server like what your brother has/had. My cousin suggested that we turn it into an public server, and since then we've been working hard to get it ready, getting plugins running properly, trying to go around the fact that our server's software provider, CraftBukkit, was shutdown out of greediness, and the lack of developers. My cousin, my freind and I are all fine with building everything, but we don't have that much experience with devopment and plugin setup. My friend who is doing that is extremely busy all the time, thus it takes awhile for him to finish stuff or get back to us...

oops, kinda rambled on again...

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Just gonna chime in, I ran a public server for three years, until it became stagnant. I'm pretty knowledgable with plugins and config, I'm pretty good at Perms too. If you need any help, let me know, I can even get us some Spout .jars for the server ;|

SirYossi

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Penfield
Hey everyone,

-Thanks

you can as long as you have not upgraded it to the newer version. After MS bought it you were given the option to upgrade it from the original version to a new log in etc. if you have not done that you can run minecraft on a PPC Mac
I ran on a PowerBook G4 17" 1.67ghz and I also run it on a dual 2.0 ghz G5 tower.
you might have to source out on forums the version that works best. I think i might still have it installed on my G5 tower will look when i turn it on and post what version works.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Just gonna chime in, I ran a public server for three years, until it became stagnant. I'm pretty knowledgable with plugins and config, I'm pretty good at Perms too. If you need any help, let me know, I can even get us some Spout .jars for the server ;|

hey... if you can help me with this, I would be eternally grateful. I'll send out the dm's in a minute... can you get on today?

As for the main part of the thread, I'm not able to run it without Java 7, which I have spent the last hour trying to figure out how to build it and I've gone nowhere.

----------

you can as long as you have not upgraded it to the newer version. After MS bought it you were given the option to upgrade it from the original version to a new log in etc. if you have not done that you can run minecraft on a PPC Mac
I ran on a PowerBook G4 17" 1.67ghz and I also run it on a dual 2.0 ghz G5 tower.
you might have to source out on forums the version that works best. I think i might still have it installed on my G5 tower will look when i turn it on and post what version works.

the main concept of his post is indeed true, however not factual at all... When minecraft 1.6 was released, Mojang ditched the old launcher in favor of the new, more dynamic one. The old one is still obtainable and functions properly because it supports Java 5. You cannot run minecraft 1.6-1.8 without Java 6/7. I don't believe it matters if you migrated your account from the old username-based system to the email-based system, however, don't hold me to that.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
hey... if you can help me with this, I would be eternally grateful. I'll send out the dm's in a minute... can you get on today?

As for the main part of the thread, I'm not able to run it without Java 7, which I have spent the last hour trying to figure out how to build it and I've gone nowhere.

----------

the main concept of his post is indeed true, however not factual at all... When minecraft 1.6 was released, Mojang ditched the old launcher in favor of the new, more dynamic one. The old one is still obtainable and functions properly because it supports Java 5. You cannot run minecraft 1.6-1.8 without Java 6/7. I don't believe it matters if you migrated your account from the old username-based system to the email-based system, however, don't hold me to that.

Well, crap. I'd recommend just running the server on an intel machine since most plugins are written for Java 6+. If you don't have access to one, I can let you use mine.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Well, crap. I'd recommend just running the server on an intel machine since most plugins are written for Java 6+. If you don't have access to one, I can let you use mine.

Lol you have it all wrong, my server is running off of a C2D Dell Optiplex 360 running a custom version of Linux specifically meant for Minecraft servers. I'm planning on opening it to the public on January 1st, and I was wondering if you could help me with permissions and setting up plugins and stuff. Basically you would be taking a voluntary development job on my server. I understand if you don't want to do it because you aren't getting paid, but if you want to do it, I would be extremely happy so that I can finally move along with getting the server ready.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Lol you have it all wrong, my server is running off of a C2D Dell Optiplex 360 running a custom version of Linux specifically meant for Minecraft servers. I'm planning on opening it to the public on January 1st, and I was wondering if you could help me with permissions and setting up plugins and stuff. Basically you would be taking a voluntary development job on my server. I understand if you don't want to do it because you aren't getting paid, but if you want to do it, I would be extremely happy so that I can finally move along with getting the server ready.

No, I'd be happy. I can help later today around 9:00 PM CST. My Skype is keaton.burleson.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
No, I'd be happy. I can help later today around 9:00 PM CST. My Skype is keaton.burleson.

Hey man, thanks! Is there a different time that we could do this at? Perhaps a different time will work better for both of us. Also, don't mean to be rude, but how old are you? My cousin and I are both 15

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Then you have the exact same PowerMac that I have (I'm sure you remember that from my massive thread about it...) So I will test it later and will get back to you. As for my server, I'm in dire need of developers and admins, so that would be great if you are willing to help out. I will contact you privately with the address, and I ask that you do not share it until it opens. My server was once a private server like what your brother has/had. My cousin suggested that we turn it into an public server, and since then we've been working hard to get it ready, getting plugins running properly, trying to go around the fact that our server's software provider, CraftBukkit, was shutdown out of greediness, and the lack of developers. My cousin, my freind and I are all fine with building everything, but we don't have that much experience with devopment and plugin setup. My friend who is doing that is extremely busy all the time, thus it takes awhile for him to finish stuff or get back to us...

I used to run a server called Altemose Private Server off a PowerMac G5. It had the capability to hold 25 users no lag whatsoever. If you need any help let me know.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I used to run a server called Altemose Private Server off a PowerMac G5. It had the capability to hold 25 users no lag whatsoever. If you need any help let me know.

Lol... Mine is called 9430Craft. But sure, if you want to help, I'm fully happy with that. The more people helping, the better, you know?

I appreciate that everyone is asking if I need any help. I had no clue where to go to ask for help, and I didn't think this was the right place, but turns out I was wrong. This really is a great community of people here on macrumors.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Hey man, thanks! Is there a different time that we could do this at? Perhaps a different time will work better for both of us. Also, don't mean to be rude, but how old are you? My cousin and I are both 15

I'm 15 aswell. Pretty much 8:30 PM CST onward is best. If not, I think I can make 3:30 PM CST work.
If you'd like to have faster contact with me, feel free to iMessage me at **********. Or email me at ********************.

Last edited:

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm 15 aswell. Pretty much 8:30 PM CST onward is best. If not, I think I can make 3:30 PM CST work.
If you'd like to have faster contact with me, feel free to iMessage me at *************** or email me at *******************

Ok sounds good! Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Lol... Mine is called 9430Craft. But sure, if you want to help, I'm fully happy with that. The more people helping, the better, you know?

I appreciate that everyone is asking if I need any help. I had no clue where to go to ask for help, and I didn't think this was the right place, but turns out I was wrong. This really is a great community of people here on macrumors.

I am 16 and am more than happy to lend a hand. I will send you a PM. I will also text Gavin and ask him about the guide.

If you'd like to have faster contact with me, feel free to iMessage me at *************** or email me at *******************

You may want to edit this post to remove the contact details. In the future you may want to PM it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014

Alright, sounds good. As I said, I am a good admin, but just know that I have recently not played MC as much, which is abnormal, considering I had been playing it full-on since 2010. However, I can surely make time to go on your server when nothing is happening on my brother's server.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I am 16 and am more than happy to lend a hand. I will send you a PM. I will also text Gavin and ask him about the guide.

You may want to edit this post to remove the contact details. In the future you may want to PM it. :D

Woah, Altemose is 16, I thought you were like a 40 year old man. Noah. Mind = blown.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I have a guide coming like GameFreak348 mentioned, almost done but I've been extremely busy working at the school on the Yosemite transition. Was at work from 6:30am to 8pm tonight. Long long day.

But it'll be up the moment I can, promise :)

LordeOurMother

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2014
I'd be interested in minecraft on PPC.

I know it is possible, I just personally don't the specifics. Hopefully Gavin's guide turns up.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Alright, sounds good. As I said, I am a good admin, but just know that I have recently not played MC as much, which is abnormal, considering I had been playing it full-on since 2010. However, I can surely make time to go on your server when nothing is happening on my brother's server.

It's alright! And whenever you can is fine. I really appreciate it that you want to help out.

I would love to see your brother's server sometime...

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Woah, Altemose is 16, I thought you were like a 40 year old man. Noah. Mind = blown.

Damn this is a revelation. I'm 19 and thought I was the youngest in the PowerPC and Collectors section :eek:

----------

I showed a guy how to do it, wait and gavinstubers will make a guide. It is possible, i play mc on my ibook G4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3uwjNhslHk&list=UUvDlCreFVOiCQd3IabgQe0Q

I can always follow the guide to get that early version of Java 1.6 installed on Tiger on both my PowerMac G4 and my iMac G4, but minecraft always stalls during startup when the white box full of text starts. It gets stuck trying to contact a server or something, I don't recall exactly.
I have tons of minecraft experience on the Intel side. I ran a CraftBukkit server for 2 years on OSX, with a proper URL address and everything. I love doing the Admin side of things nearly more than playing the actual game!

I've spent a few days trying to get PPC Minecraft to work in Tiger on both my G4's and never gotten a result :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.