Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mozzatron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
Hi there

I accidentally deleted a thread of text messages which contained important info that i need to retrieve.

I then connected the phone to my iMac so i could try and restore it via iTunes from a back up to get the messages back, but it automatically backed the phone up (after i had deleted the messages).

I then went into iTunes and chose to restore the phone from a backup (thinking it would give me the option to chose a backup prior to deleting the text messages), but sadly not. It automatically started backing up from the most recent backup which is obviously not going to get my messages back.

Is there a way to chose an older back up so i can retrieve the messages?

Thanks in advance.

Will

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.1

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Is it possible to restore an iPhone 6 from a backup that isn't the most recent?

A user can restore an iPhone with a backup made with an older version of iOS with no problem.

A user can not restore an iPhone from a backup made from a newer version IOS -the user would need to install the latest iOS on the iPhone first.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Hi there

I accidentally deleted a thread of text messages which contained important info that i need to retrieve.

I then connected the phone to my iMac so i could try and restore it via iTunes from a back up to get the messages back, but it automatically backed the phone up (after i had deleted the messages).

I then went into iTunes and chose to restore the phone from a backup (thinking it would give me the option to chose a backup prior to deleting the text messages), but sadly not. It automatically started backing up from the most recent backup which is obviously not going to get my messages back.

Is there a way to chose an older back up so i can retrieve the messages?

Thanks in advance.

Will

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.1

Go to Preferences in the main iTunes options across the top of the screen then click on Device and you'll see a list of all the backups performed through iTunes. Delete the backup that your handset (unwittingly) did when you plugged it in earlier on, then click your iPhone in the top left corner and "restore backup" and it should restore the backup from BEFORE you plugged it in today.

Alternatively, you can restore from iCloud if it's backed up and that will give you the choice of which backup to select.

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Erase the iPhone than during set up it asks you to restore over wifi from your iCloud account and it gives you options of older backups to choose from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.