Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Hey chaps,

I am working on my portfolio site. It's still in beta mode since I am on the fence with the damn buttons. Can anyone suggest some ideas? I was thinking I might approach arrows for navigation. I just don't want to have to much negative space, maybe a non-tradtional description is called for.

Anyway, here is the link. folio

Let me know your opinions.

Cheers.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Well first off, the page looks good. Esp for what you're going to use it for. Nothing was loaded so all I could see was the first page. I like the buttons fine, simple, easy to see. Add some content and I'll have more of an opinion

BTW what do you use to design, load etc?

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I really like the top navigation buttons. I'm undecided about the buttons in the gallery though. I would still like maybe a little preview of what it is I'm clicking, but i still like the design.:eek:

You've created a very nice site that reminds me how much I need to learn Flash based web dev.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Peyton said:
Well first off, the page looks good. Esp for what you're going to use it for. Nothing was loaded so all I could see was the first page. I like the buttons fine, simple, easy to see. Add some content and I'll have more of an opinion

BTW what do you use to design, load etc?

You can click the nav buttons. I do need something on the first window...

Good on ya.

PS, let me know if some fonts look blurry or odd... Thanks.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Sweet, it's nice an clean & crisp!
I think the buttons are fine, but as you did mention the text on them is a little fuzzy, gotta play with the aliasing settings for the fonts a bit.

My only suggestion would be to play with the background a bit, right now it seems very plain and I think maybe tinting it green slightly or adding a soft gradient just because right now the page seems to be sitting punk in the middle of this white screen.

Other than that I think it's great

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
flipping through the images would be easier with a next/previous button selection instead of having to move the mouse to the next box - especially since you're not using thumbs.

Other than that its a nice design.

D

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
I'm not a fan of flash, but I have to say that your site is quite stunning. However, a couple of things (I think I'm echoing past comments here)

It's weird to go to the page and just be presented with nothing. I might have assumed that your flash wasn't working and browsed away.

The buttons in the portfolio are are cool, but mostly worthless. I feel like I'm playing that game where you can only flip 2 cards and have to match the identical cards.

These are minor points. Your website is very nice, as is your work. Great job, I wish I had your skills.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Not a fan of flash either.

THAT little negative comment aside, I really dig your design. And suprisingly, I like the navigation. It's very nice. You have a nice eye for photography as well.

All around good stuff man! Nicely done.

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
I agree with desenso in that it is pretty weird that when your page first loads the main page has nothing on it. I don't know if you intended it to be that way or if you just haven't created any content for that area yet, but I would at least put some identifying information in that space.

Very nice design, though! The only things I would suggest are to put small thumbnails inside of those buttons that you have and to try to get a little more contrast between the main content area and the page background. As it stands now, it might be a little too plain.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Like others here, I think it would be nice if you had a little something when you first load the page. Having nothing there will very likely turn off potential clients and partners.

You dont even need to have text or anything, just a nice picture (of your own work) and maybe a little "continue to gallery" button. Something of the sort. Whatever it is, just make sure you put something there.

Also, when scrolling over the boxes in the gallery, the boxes should fill with a piece of the image relating to it.

Very cool concept and design though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.