Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 24, 2006, 09:04 AM   #1
popsandfriends
macrumors member

Powerbook G4 550mhz, random freezes

Hello,
The title pretty much sums it up. My powerbook which i just got off of eBay has been acting up. After a short amount of time, it will just lockup/ The cursor freezes, the screen freezes in place, and it wont sleep. It just has to be restarted. This usually happens when I press the command or space key, or when I am typing something into safari's text area, but it also happens randomly. Is there a software fix for this?

PS -I have the newest 10.4.5 installed

Hunter
popsandfriends is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:10 AM   #2
ewoh24
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsandfriends
Hello,
The title pretty much sums it up. My powerbook which i just got off of eBay has been acting up. After a short amount of time, it will just lockup/ The cursor freezes, the screen freezes in place, and it wont sleep. It just has to be restarted. This usually happens when I press the command or space key, or when I am typing something into safari's text area, but it also happens randomly. Is there a software fix for this?

PS -I have the newest 10.4.5 installed

Hunter

Have you run Disk Utility and repaired permissions?
ewoh24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 12:35 PM   #3
popsandfriends
macrumors member

Well, i fixed the complete lockup problem, it wa actually a hardware issue. But now, everything I try and do, like open safari, browse a folder, even in the middle of repairing permissions in disk utility, brings up the spinning beach ball!!! its driving me nuts, it never goes away either, always needs to restart!
Old Feb 26, 2006, 12:37 PM   #4
calebjohnston
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to calebjohnston Send a message via MSN to calebjohnston
Did the seller promise you fully functional operation? Sounds like that dude wasn't entirely honest.
calebjohnston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 02:43 PM   #5
popsandfriends
macrumors member

he did, but i dont think it was his fault. My best guess is that its some sort of Tiger Operating system bug, maybe you know of a fix for something like this?
Old Feb 26, 2006, 02:54 PM   #6
spinne1
macrumors 6502a

Whenever I have had the spinning beach ball over and over, only one thing ever fixed it: A complete backup of my files, a reformat of the hard drive, a test of the hard drive condition with Disk Utility or something better, then a fresh install of OS X, then a manual reinstall of all programs that are not part of the OS, then a manual put back of the files. It has happened twice where something got corrupted and it would not be fixed, no matter how many caches or preferences I threw away or cleaned, or how many times I reset open firmware, reset the apps, repaired permissions, or ran all the maintenance tasks that the various utilities I have will run.

Last edited by spinne1; Feb 26, 2006 at 03:17 PM.
spinne1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 03:07 PM   #7
calebjohnston
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to calebjohnston Send a message via MSN to calebjohnston
yeah, i hate to say it, but maybe an erase and install is the best option. use the CD you got with the computer and select the erase and install option (after backing up files)
calebjohnston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 03:36 PM   #8
imac abuser
macrumors 6502a

Sounds bad, but time to buy a macbook hehe how much ram?
imac abuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:17 PM   #9
popsandfriends
macrumors member

never got the CD's with it

It's got 512mb ram which is pretty good, I'm thinkin about selling the unit, its in GREAT shape just on the software end needs some tweaking. You're right tho, its probably necessary to do a full reformat
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:56 PM   #10
imac abuser
macrumors 6502a

yeah that would be a great place to start, reformating

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs