Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safariicon.jpg
Apple today released Safari 8.0.1 for OS X Yosemite, Safari 7.1.1 for OS X Mavericks and a Safari 6.2.1 for older versions of OS X. The release comes nearly three weeks after the Safari betas were first seeded to developers.

The new Safari builds can be downloaded through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store. Safari 8.0.1 for OS X Yosemite requires OS X 10.10 or 10.10.1, while Safari 7.1.1 for OS X Mavericks requires OS X 10.9.5 and Safari 6.2.1 for OS X Mountain Lion requires OS X 10.8.5.

According to the release notes, Safari 8.0.1 fixes an issue that could prevent history from syncing across devices without iCloud Drive turned on, fixes an issue preventing saved passwords from being autofilled after two devices are added to iCloud Keychain, improves WebGL graphics performance on Retina displays, and allows users to import usernames and passwords from Firefox.

Update: The Safari 8.0.1 update has been removed from the Mac App Store by Apple for unknown reasons.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 8.0.1, 7.1.1, and 6.2.1 [Update: Pulled]

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
OK thanks for sending a browser update before an update to fix the wifi connectivity issues. :rolleyes:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And yet again, it does not fix the two problems that I've reported to Apple since Yosemite came out. This is a replay of the type of problems that affected iWork applications, namely Pages.... Apple just ignores customer feedback! (Pages lost support for linked text boxes, and it's been more than a year without any response from Apple). So frustrating!

Regarding Safari...

As a web developer, I have local copies of sites on .dev top-level domains (eg. http://www.site.dev would correspond to http://www.salesforce.com/platform/overview/?d=70130000000liBh). Since Yosemite, Safari has stopped resolving the domain if it didn't begin with http://, so I need to manually type that full address each time (or store bookmarks for each site, which is annoying). Without the protocol on the front, it just performs a web search.

Secondly, Safari no longer offers password auto-fill for these .dev sites, even though the password info is stored in Keychain correctly.

If anybody has any suggestions for these, I'm all ears.

Paulinskip

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Be careful with this update, I updated and now Safari is no longer on my system at all. Replaced by a question mark and not visible in a spotlight or a manual search! Completely vanished! I'm having to use Chrome to post this!!

Can someone please sack the updates team!!

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Be careful with this update, I updated and now Safari is no longer on my system at all. Replaced by a question mark and not visible in a spotlight or a manual search! Completely vanished! I'm having to use Chrome to post this!!

Can someone please sack the updates team!!
No need. The update went just fine here.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I hope this helps,

I have been having terrible performance with Safari in Yosemite (on top of WiFi issues and Airport Admin Util issues)

I usually use Safari & Chrome on an almost 75/25 (75% Safari) but lately it's needed to be more like 10% Safari 90% Chrome.

----------

OK thanks for sending a browser update before an update to fix the wifi connectivity issues. :rolleyes:

While I agree with you, I suspect they are separate teams/resources allocated to each. You can't really just throw programmers from one project to the other and necessarily benefit. but heck yes I want that WiFi fixed ASAP!!!

old-school

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
UK
I hope this fixes some issues. There are so many bugs with safari and yosemite - very disappointing. It's really slow and crashes a couple of times a day. One bug makes safari take up around 1.5GB of memory and I need to quit and restart. I've given up and moved back to chrome. Clean install of everything, MBA mid 2011.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I hope it fixes that bug where web pages occasionally load zoomed all the way in.

I don't a reminder that I'm getting old and will someday need to do that to read pages at all. ;)

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Not to sound like a wuss but is this a safe update? Seems the apple boards are getting hammered with discussions on issues from the latest update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.