Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MOKHAN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada
I can not get past the "activate via SIM card" screen in iTunes as I do not have an AT&T SIM card for my AT&T iPhone 5S purchased from the states.

The issue: After getting my unlock request approved, how am I to unlock the iPhone 5S by "backing up" and "restoring" without being able to get past that screen?

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
is this iPhone running iOS 8???

just put in a new sim card in. it does not matter whose sim card it is. it should unlock

if that won't work and it needs an AT&T sim, then you need to buy one. or find one. the sim card does not need to be activated it just needs to be inserted and then erase the phone and restore it

when using the AT&T sim option you will need to erase the if and start over as a new iPhone so it can contact apple and get the unlock

don't buy a go phone sim

idea.
insert the carriers sim card
and do a dfu restore

maybe that will work

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
maybe drive to buffalo to a AT&T Store and ask for a sim??

they are real jerks about handing out sim cards. you should bring a device
they will insist you activate it in the store!!!

do you have a cellular iPad?? or any cellular tablets??? they will give you a sim if you sign up for $15 data plan and then you can stick that in your iPhone if the sim is the same size

your in tornto you should be able to get a AT&T sim card relatively easy from the web

it doesn't require service

it just can't be a go phone sim

----------

the only exception to the rule that the sim card does not need service to activte is if you bought the AT&T sim as an upgrade then they make you use the new sim that comes with it

MOKHAN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada
is this iPhone running iOS 8???

just put in a new sim card in. it does not matter whose sim card it is. it should unlock

if that won't work and it needs an AT&T sim, then you need to buy one. or find one. the sim card does not need to be activated it just needs to be inserted and then erase the phone and restore it

when using the AT&T sim option you will need to erase the if and start over as a new iPhone so it can contact apple and get the unlock

don't buy a go phone sim

idea.
insert the carriers sim card
and do a dfu restore

maybe that will work

The phone is currently locked to AT&T (the unlock request hasn't gone through yet). Can I still activate it using any SIM?

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
get AT&T sim and wait for unlock to go through and ether

1. insert AT&T sim and then switch to new sim after unlock goes through (new feature in iOS 8)

2. if you do not have another sim, insert AT&T sim and back up erase and restore, itunes will unlock phone

idea. does this work????

turn off phone
insert other carriers sim
turn iPhone on in dfu mode

maybe that will make itunes contact the upgrade server, install iOS 8.1.1 and then unlock it just you would of done in step 2 without needing an AT&T sim????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.