Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Hello all,

I have a 27" iMac (2013) with the standard 1tb hdd. I bought it at best buy w/ gift cards and financing offers, so a BTO mac wasn't an option at the time.

In any case, I am exploring the possibility of using an SSD to gain some speed in the daily operation of the iMac.

I really do NOT want to take the iMac apart at this time (as it is still under warranty), so my only option is an external boot drive.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which method of connection to use (USB3.0 vs. thunderbolt)? I know that enabling trim is limited to thunderbolt enclosures, but is it THAT big of a deal to justify the extra cost (~$80 more for a thunderbolt enclosure)?

Also, I plan to use a 128gb or 256gb Samsung SSD as the actual drive. Anything I should know before pulling the trigger on one of these?

Thanks in advance for all of the comments.

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA
A 128 GB boot drive using an USB3 external connection is all that you need and will be indistinguishable in speed from a Thunderbolt set-up.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
I have a question to add to this post. I plan on getting an iMac soon & would like to upgrade to the internal SSD pretty much for the speed. Now would a 256gb SSD be enough storage for the OS, apps, app data, caches, etc ? I don't do any photo or video editing besides some Handbrake encoding once in a while. Other than that just email, messaging, web browsing, & using it as a Plex server but media will be on an external drive. The occasional Word & Excel documents also. I'd like to avoid getting the 512gb SSD & save a few hundred $$ if I can. Thanks

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I would probably get a 256GB or preferably a 512GB LaCie "Rugged" Thunderbolt SSD and velcro mount it to the iMac stand (after removing the orange "life boat" ring) so it wasn't obvious or subject to easy disconnect. Then either CCC clone or fresh install OS X to the SSD and select it as the boot drive.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I have a external ssd on my iMac. A 512 gb crucial ssd mx100, in a seagate thunderbolt adapter sitting tucked behind my iMac on a twelve south stand. Ssd was about 200, adapter 80. Cheap and noticeably faster. No problems

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I know that enabling trim is limited to thunderbolt enclosures, but is it THAT big of a deal to justify the extra cost (~$80 more for a thunderbolt enclosure)?

Yes, TRIM is that big of a deal and you don't have to pay so much for a good Thunderbolt adapter either. I've been using the Delock 42490 enclosure to boot OS X (and BootCamp) for the past 8 months with no problems. The only negatives are it doesn't have a pass through port (I've got a second unused TB port so no issue) and it doesn't come with a TB cable.

The Seagate Adapters and Lacie Rugged also are also excellent options, although they're more expensive and bus-powered.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I have a question to add to this post. I plan on getting an iMac soon & would like to upgrade to the internal SSD pretty much for the speed. Now would a 256gb SSD be enough storage for the OS, apps, app data, caches, etc ? I don't do any photo or video editing besides some Handbrake encoding once in a while. Other than that just email, messaging, web browsing, & using it as a Plex server but media will be on an external drive. The occasional Word & Excel documents also. I'd like to avoid getting the 512gb SSD & save a few hundred $$ if I can. Thanks

I have a 240GB SSD in my 2011 along with the standard 1TB HD that t came with. I only have 90GB on the SSD, my large libraries are on EHD connected by FW800 with the exception of my Aperture library which is on the 1TB internal. This setup works like a charm.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
I have a 240GB SSD in my 2011 along with the standard 1TB HD that t came with. I only have 90GB on the SSD, my large libraries are on EHD connected by FW800 with the exception of my Aperture library which is on the 1TB internal. This setup works like a charm.

I'm a little confused. U have the 1TB that it (iMac ?) came with along w/ the SSD inside ? So u have 2 hard drives in your iMac ? & what's an EHD ? Sorry not too familiar w/ Mac lingo lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.