Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a brief interview with Bloomberg Businessweek as part of highlighting Apple's #10 ranking on the magazine's list of "The 85 Most Disruptive Ideas in Our History", Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak discusses a handful of topics related to the company, mostly relating to Apple's early days. Among the topics Wozniak delved into was Steve Jobs' mindset in those early years of the company.
He had always spoken about wanting to be a person that moves the world forward, but he couldn't really create things and design them like I could. Steve wanted a company real badly. His thinking was not necessarily about what computers would do for the average Joe in the average home. Steve found the words that explained what these computers would do for people and how important it was a little later in life.
Wozniak went on to mention his refrain from conflict, and that Jobs "was going to make sure that his position was strong and forceful and heard by others." He continued, "Thankfully he had the best brain. He usually had a little, tiny suggestion, but almost always he was right."

wozniak.jpg
(Photo by Jonathan Zufi)
Discussing the onset of the "computer revolution", Wozniak said he "knew that the computer was so far ahead of anything the rest of the world had seen. We knew we had a revolution. Everyone who joined Apple, this was the greatest thing in their life." Wozniak said that compared to every computer that came before it, the Apple I (which now sells for over half a million dollars at auction on occasion) was the point where he saw the future of widespread, affordable computing devices.

When asked where most of the work was being done in those early years, Wozniak mentions his cubicle at Hewlett-Packard in Cupertino, not the famous location of Steve Jobs' family home that is now a historical landmark.
The garage is a bit of a myth. We did no designs there, no breadboarding, no prototyping, no planning of products. We did no manufacturing there. The garage didn't serve much purpose, except it was something for us to feel was our home. We had no money. You have to work out of your home when you have no money.
Wozniak has been in the news a fair amount in recent months, with rumors swirling about who will play him in the Aaron Sorkin-penned Steve Jobs film that Wozniak is consulting on, and the recent announcement of The Woz, a reality show about the future of technology Wozniak is set to host.

Article Link: Steve Wozniak Discusses Apple's Early Days and Working with Steve Jobs

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
By now you should know Steve Wozniak, being a man of high ethics, did ask HP if they wanted to produce it. HP's answer was that they didn't know how they'd do that, and that Steve W. had the rights to it, though legally HP would have been within their rights to claim a stake if nothing else.

Really, if I were at HP, I would have asked for 10% of the profits...

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I wonder why Woz is not tired of talking about Steve J. Sure they were friends and such but at some point you just need to put this to rest and stop even if the media still asking for it.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
My thoughts of envisioning Jobs & Woz working in the garage bubble just burst. #

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Woz really wanted the title to be: Steve Wozniak Discusses His Early Days and Building the Future.

----------

OMG. Woz let it go. Just ride off into the sunset on your Segway.

You are not alone. I am really getting sick of this guy. 100% genius, but 100% annoying.Let it go is right. You last affected Apple as a company in like 1980, it's time to move on. Exit interview much?

----------

If this guy is still employee #1, it's time to revoke that.

----------

I'm surprised Woz didn't tell the story about when he was a little baby, and doing some great work in his garage...

nativity-baby-jesus-christmas-2008-christmas-2806967-1000-558.jpg

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
And here I was just harassed in the other thread about how Woz is only in the news "every 2 months or so."

It would be glorious if we didn't hear about this guy for two whole months.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
You last affected Apple as a company in like 1980, it's time to move on. Exit interview much?
He didn't just "affect" Apple. Without him there would be no Apple.

He designed, and often built, the Apple 1. More importantly he designed the Apple 2. Without that Apple would have been another footnote in a website dedicated to '70s-era microcomputers.

Mike

Reactions: stevekr

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008

He designed, and often built, the Apple 1. More importantly he designed the Apple 2. Without that Apple would have been another footnote in a website dedicated to '70s-era microcomputers.

Mike

What have you done for me lately.... Yes, at one time he was a tech-god. He now dances with the stars. A slight comedown I'd say. If he wants to get back into the tech game, and invent some great new thing, I'll listen. But I'm all set with him recounting the old Apple days. He hasn't been involved in any great Apple achievement since prior to the Mac. Woz, it's time to move on.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
All these years, I thought the never ending praise of "Steve this... Steve that..." was aimed at me. The shock when Guy Kawasaki told me it was Jobs! :mad: I always wondered why email to steve@apple.com never got to me!

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I wonder why Woz is not tired of talking about Steve J. Sure they were friends and such but at some point you just need to put this to rest and stop even if the media still asking for it.

I have many fond memories in my life that I repeat over and over to friends when they ask. Telling these stories make me happy.

I assume the same with Woz and his stories and memories. Why would he try to suppress happiness if someone is interested?

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

OMG. Woz let it go. Just ride off into the sunset on your Segway.

whaaa...? this guy was the other major half of the computer revolution. he was there, at ground zero. he built with his own brains and hands the hardware that sparked everything and set this course of history into motion. why should he not talk about it? and why on earth wouldnt you want to hear about it?

go back to your toys, son.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I have no idea where the "hate" is coming from. Especially when some people on this forum have no problem when Walter Isaacson comments to the press about Steve or Apple history/future.

Woz has pretty much every entitlement to speak his mind. He's earned it.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I have many fond memories in my life that I repeat over and over to friends when they ask. Telling these stories make me happy.

I assume the same with Woz and his stories and memories. Why would he try to suppress happiness if someone is interested?

I don't deny that Woz like the guy but it seems people are just interested to talk with him to hear about Jobs. At some point I would stop myself, but hey people are different. That's the beauty of it.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
whaaa...? this guy was the other major half of the computer revolution. he was there, at ground zero. he built with his own brains and hands the hardware that sparked everything and set this course of history into motion. why should he not talk about it? and why on earth wouldnt you want to hear about it?

go back to your toys, son.

Sometimes I find myself in disagreement with (some) of your posts but this time you really nailed it.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012

Mike

Exactly! Woz can be in the news all he wants. My first computer was an Apple ][e and I wrote my first programs on it and wrote every high school paper on it. I still remember writing the papers in Appleworks and then opening them in another program to spell check, lol.

So yeah, Woz did more for computing in founding Apple than Ive has ever done with all his inane anorexic designs. He also gets credit for recognizing Jobs's genius and engaging in a symbiotic relationship with him. Many engineers might not have wanted to share credit with Jobs and had that been the case with Woz the personal computer might have taken a rather different historical path.

EightBitJoe

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2014
Good on Woz for being honest. Most of Apple's history is lore and myth created by Regis McKenna.

Now go on, Woz, and tell them you and Apple didn't invent the personal computer and that Chuck Peddle played a vital role in getting the Apple I working.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
In July 2002 Woz sent the following to his email friends, highlighting something we all know about Steve Job's personality:
Woz said:
SJ: Knock Knock.

SW: Who's there?

SJ: Control Freak.

SJ: Now YOU say 'Control freak who?'.

(original post)

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I don't deny that Woz like the guy but it seems people are just interested to talk with him to hear about Jobs. At some point I would stop myself, but hey people are different. That's the beauty of it.
In the end, I think it comes down to the fact that Woz was pretty much the founding member of the cult of Jobs. I look at the early years of Jobs' career and wonder "why did Woz keep doing all the work and let Jobs take credit for it?"-- I think it's because Woz was a geek that just loved that someone else, someone cool, was interested in what he was doing. I think Woz was, and probably still is, enthralled.

Nobody can stop talking about Jobs. Everyone who's met the man seems to feel the need to point it out. Everyone who hasn't met Jobs seems to need to endlessly ask people who have what he was like. Woz enabled Jobs to become Jobs-- of course everyone wants to talk about it.
So does that mean Apple is property of HP?
If that's true, then most of the Valley is HP property. The early HP (now Agilent) was a brilliant and energetic company that spun off a ton of new ideas it couldn't pursue itself. Thank god they didn't take the low road and insist on owning everything they touched.

The "new" HP is Dell West. I really wish Agilent won ownership of the corporate name.
You are not alone. I am really getting sick of this guy. 100% genius, but 100% annoying.Let it go is right. You last affected Apple as a company in like 1980, it's time to move on. Exit interview much?

If this guy is still employee #1, it's time to revoke that.
Interesting. So when asked to comment on an article placing his achievement 10th among the most disruptive ideas in history, he should just demur? And then Apple should rewrite history to erase Woz entirely? I'm not sure what you have against the guy, really...

I suppose Bloomberg could have interviewed the other principal founder of Apple. Oh wait...
And here I was just harassed in the other thread about how Woz is only in the news "every 2 months or so."

It would be glorious if we didn't hear about this guy for two whole months.
I don't understand the masochism of people like you and furi0usbee. You coming to a Apple news aggregator and rumor site wishing there weren't stories about Apple's only living founder, furi0usbee reading Woz's autobiography wishing Woz wouldn't talk about himself...

Last edited:

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river

Mike

Seriously. Not only that, the original Mac might have been an even better machine had he not crashed his plane and not been able to work on the project. At least I think that's how it went down. Yeah, Wozniak is a bit of a weirdo, but who isn't? Credit where credit's due. The guy basically invented the personal computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.