Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Is it possible that a backlight may change after a few hundred hours and Its light becomes smoother and more uniform?

When the iPad 3 was out I had yellow tint on one side of the screen, replaced several times, same with the iPad 4. When the Air came out I got one, it was a gift so I had to keep it. My iPad Air had a very annoying yellow tint on the right side of the acreen, really bad, I would get annoyed everytime. Oh well, it has been a year since and now my screen is pretty uniform, no more yellow tint on the right side. I don't know when it happened but I can't find it mo matter what.

What could it be? Now I got an iPhone 6 Plus and it is perfect, but has a yellow tint on the bottom, and I dunno if eventually after hundred of hours of use it would get better, since it isn t so bad now.

Did you ever buy an iPad or even iPhone and it had a yellow tint on an edge and after several months it was gone or not as bad? I heared that the glue thing is not true, so.. maybe backlight gets a little less harsh? What could it be? Maybe the reason why when you go to Apple Store their iPads are pretty good?

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I was kinda wondering the same thing. When I first got my air2 it looked like it had the book spine effect, but not too bad. Now it is either gone or I don't notice it as much.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
TMK, it is not the backlight or the defuser most of the time, but instead the glue used for the display that's yellowed. Eventually, I believe it becomes uniform although in some circumstances it might not.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
The yellow tiny probably won't get better. My 5s that I've had for over a year still has the same yellow tint it had from day one.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I had a yellow tinted area in the upper left hand side of my iPad 3. It was very noticeable and around 1" x 2" in size. I forget how long I had it for, maybe somewhere around 1 month, but it did go away. I had turned my iPad up to full brightness & left it on a white screen & it went away quickly after doing that. I'm not sure if that helped it go away or not, but it did go & I was left with a beautiful fully white, crisp screen.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
TMK, it is not the backlight or the defuser most of the time, but instead the glue used for the display that's yellowed. Eventually, I believe it becomes uniform although in some circumstances it might not.

Until the Air 2, this has been a BS theory on iPads as the screens weren't laminated to the glass like on the iPhone. However now they use lamination on the Air 2, it's entirely a possibility that the glue could cure and yellowing disappear.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
My Air 2 had a very slight yellow tinge on the bottom right corner when I first got it, but it is not there at all now.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Until the Air 2, this has been a BS theory on iPads as the screens weren't laminated to the glass like on the iPhone. However now they use lamination on the Air 2, it's entirely a possibility that the glue could cure and yellowing disappear.

Well there is still glue that holds the digitizer to the glass display. There is still a chance that it is that glue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.