Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's currently in the process of building an iconic "spaceship" campus in Cupertino, and along with the main circular building, the campus will include both an auditorium for press events and a fitness center designed for employees.

According to building permits obtained by BuildZoom (via Re/code) the 120,000 square foot event space that Apple is constructing via BNBT Builders is costing the company $161 million.

apple_campus_2_sept_13.jpg
Apple's 100,000 square foot fitness center, a must-have perk in the highly-competitive Silicon Valley market, will cost the company $74 million.

Apple's second campus, located in close proximity to its existing 1 Infinite Loop campus in Cupertino, will cost the company more than $5 billion dollars in total. As of the latest update, Apple had largely finished pouring the foundation for the main circular building, and had commenced building the actual structure. The campus, which will house approximately 12,000 employees, is expected to be completed by the end of 2016.

Article Link: Apple Campus 2 Event Space Costing Apple $161 Million, Fitness Center Priced at $74 Million

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple's currently in the process of building an iconic "spaceship" campus in Cupertino, and along with the main circular building, the campus will include both an auditorium for press events and a fitness center designed for employees.

According to building permits obtained by BuildZoom (via Re/code) the 120,000 square foot event space that Apple is constructing via BNBT Builders is costing the company $161 million.

Apple's 100,000 square foot fitness center, a must-have perk in the highly-competitive Silicon Valley market, will cost the company $74 million. Building plans suggest it will

Apple's second campus, located in close proximity to its existing 1 Infinite Loop campus in Cupertino, will cost the company more than $5 billion dollars in total. As of the latest update, Apple had largely finished pouring the foundation for the main circular building, and had commenced building the actual structure. The campus, which will house approximately 12,000 employees, is expected to be completed by the end of 2016.

Article Link: Apple Campus 2 Event Space Costing Apple $161 Million, Fitness Center Priced at $74 Million

Cost of doing business. Prime realestate for Apple, and only $1340 and $740/sqft respectively. Plus, it flies.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I don't want to make an outlandish prediction, but I think it's going to be the most beautiful spaceship campus they've ever built.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Plus, it flies.

It's actually the world's first Terran Command Center. I wonder if they'll choose to upgrade it to an Orbital Command or Planetary Fortress (or maybe they'll be old school and get a Comsat Station or a Nuclear Silo add-on?)

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Should Apple be concerned having so many employees in one place? I know they have engineers around the world, but I would imagine for such a large company, maybe it should be more diversified and spread them around. You never know when a natural disaster etc will strike.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Should Apple be concerned having so many employees in one place? I know they have engineers around the world, but I would imagine for such a large company, maybe it should be more diversified and spread them around. You never know when a natural disaster etc will strike.

That's why they are building a 2nd secret campus... Apple Spaceship Two

And employees will rotate every other day so no complete team will ever be in the same place at once!

But seriously... I don't think natural disasters are really a concern. Infinite Loop already has a lot of people in one location (but in separate buildings)

Honestly... having 12,000 employees in one building is much more efficient than having employees scattered everywhere. I think that's the real motivation for this new mega-building.

Right now... Apple is leasing office space in multiple locations all over Silicon Valley. Time to bring 'em home.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
$5 billion for 12,000 people; that's over $400,000 per person...

A couple bought a house across the street from me for $1.1M They spent more per person than Apple. Ok that house was one of the nicer houses on the block. A more common pice would be about $750K But still the per person price is close.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Ah, those Cupertino schools (among other things).

Amen. This area is outrageous. My family on the East coast would have me locked up in an insane asylum if they knew how much I spent on this 1950 house!

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013

Yep. The Big One's going to be interesting...

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
I would be interested to know what that $74 million fitness center looks like...a Lifetime Fitness (arguably one of the largest and most luxurious fitness clubs) costs about $30 million to build.

I hope that Apple proudly displays the finished product on its website. I would be interested to see it. Of course maybe the solution is just to get a job with Apple and move out to Cupertino :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.