Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I was playing some iOS game (VainGlory, (Ringo hybrid build)) and I tried to raise the volume like halfway through a mission and I accidentally put force in a parallel way from the other side and closed my game out :(

Last edited:

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
It's most confusing with the leather case on because it's hard too feel where the buttons are and aren't.

I guess it would be fine on top too.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Agreed. With the leather case I am always changing the volume instead of locking the phone. :(
Putting it back on top would be fine.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Yep.... A little higher. Like on the top.

Wish everything was like on the iPads. Vol on the right, power on the top.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Put it back on top.

Having the volume-UP and power-off buttons exactly opposite means that when you one-handedly try to squeeze one, you often get the other.

Terrible ergonomics. Can't believe Apple thought that was ok.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Agreed. It's strange. And nothing more awesome than your wife trying to take a selfie of us somewhere, and just turning the phone off instead of taking the photo.

:(

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Agreed. It's strange. And nothing more awesome than your wife trying to take a selfie of us somewhere, and just turning the phone off instead of taking the photo.

:(

Oooh nice one. I can relate to that one.

Its also better for taking screen shots when it was on top because it was more symmetrical to the pressure we exert from the bottom whilst pushing the main button. Now its like the bottom button area acts as a pivot, and then we exert force from one side, and you have to hold the other, so you essentially have to put pressure on three elements simultaneously, all the while also avoiding the volume buttons.

I often accidentally turn off the phone when attempting to take a screen shot. I thought it was a learning curve/force of habit at first, but Im still doing it to this day and have to focus pretty hard to time it right. This never happened before.

Last edited:

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
After a day with the 6, I like the new location of the power button. It's reachable one handed easily.

As for moving it down a bit from where it is now, I think my thumb would be on it all the time, more chances for accidental push. Just ry moving your hand up the same distance you wish to lower the power button.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
After a day with the 6, I like the new location of the power button. It's reachable one handed easily.

As for moving it down a bit from where it is now, I think my thumb would be on it all the time, more chances for accidental push. Just ry moving your hand up the same distance you wish to lower the power button.

This, I actually like the location of the home button is. It would be awkward if it was at the top at this size.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I'm also a Top :)

I have a Note 4 and it's one of the few things I don't like about it.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I would move it too. Higher, lower, on top, just somewhere, But after two weeks I almost never drop the volume by mistake . . .

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Who needs permo quick access to their power button anyway?? Especially when it actually gets in the way. It needs to go back on top.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
This, I actually like the location of the home button is. It would be awkward if it was at the top at this size.

I don't know about that.

At first when I first got the phone I thought it made sense they moved it there because "of the bigger size."

But now that I think about it having had the 6+ for awhile, that it wouldn't really be worse having at the top.

I picked up the 5S in my hand to see why I thought that and I noticed the way I used to hold the smaller phone, I could use the same hand I was holding it to support the phone one handed, I would just flip my thumb up. With one flip of the thumb i could get up there.

The overlooked detail I think is, that we don't hold the phone one handed as much, and if we do, (and this is crucial) we still have to "re-adjust" the phone in our one hand to reach the side, and it would be just as easy to reach all the way to the top.

So that reach will be made regardless of if its on the side or the top. Or alternately if we are using two hands like is now more common, we can reach to the top just as easily. So there is no longer that issue in the new phone holding paradigm.

All thats left then is this clumsy opposite sides of the phone buttons issue. So it might as well be on top.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Yep. Back on top. This is my only 6+ gripe. (Albeit a pretty minor one.)

I've pretty much adjusted as much as I ever will at this point and still trigger it accidentally fairly often when trying for the volume buttons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.