Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wialli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
Hi All,

First post and asking on behalf of my girlfriend.

She really wants to buy a Macbook, but we don't really have the money for a newer model, so is there anywhere in the UK that you can buy unused older versions of the Macbooks?

Forgive my naivety, but I'm a (*whispers* laptop user) but I wanted to research this for her and this looks like a great place to ask some experts.

Thanks,
Phil

(p.s. I posted this somewhere else by mistake but I can't for the life of me find out where,m so apologies for the double post!!!)

dogbertd

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Hi All,

First post and asking on behalf of my girlfriend.

She really wants to buy a Macbook, but we don't really have the money for a newer model, so is there anywhere in the UK that you can buy unused older versions of the Macbooks?

Forgive my naivety, but I'm a (*whispers* laptop user) but I wanted to research this for her and this looks like a great place to ask some experts.

Thanks,
Phil

TBH I can't think of anywhere you can get old unused macs. Sometimes you might see them on eBay as unboxed and never used, but usually these are for models of historic interest and therefore expensive.

Why the bias against a second-hand macbook?

Wialli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
I guess she's just concerned about the quality and lifetime remaining on an already used model.

I think she just wants something that hers and has only been hers. I guess I can see her point.

Me - I'm all for pre-owned cheapness.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep a look out on amazon and ebay for older models, and I guess look at the Boxing Day sales in 3 weeks time to see if any of the newer models come down at all.

If we don't find anything then we will probably end up buying a new one, but we've recently bought our first house and spent a fair few thousand on horribly unexpected renovations so things are a bit tight.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
You can look at the apple store (store.apple.com/uk). Shop Mac, scroll to the right, "Certified Refurbished".

dogbertd

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Dundee, Scotland, UK
I guess she's just concerned about the quality and lifetime remaining on an already used model.

I think she just wants something that hers and has only been hers. I guess I can see her point.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep a look out on amazon and ebay for older models, and I guess look at the Boxing Day sales in 3 weeks time to see if any of the newer models come down at all.

If we don't find anything then we will probably end up buying a new one, but we've recently bought our first house and spent a fair few thousand on horribly unexpected renovations so things are a bit tight.

The other option is if you - or someone you know - is heading to the States sometime soon. I bought my Macbook Pro at an Apple Store on a visit to the US earlier this year and saved quite a bit.

Good Luck!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Hi buddy, if you know anybody in higher education (preferably University) you can buy a brand-new Mac through Apple's education store. You'll save 15% off RRP and also get free 3-year AppleCare.

The reason I mention that is because it's a hefty saving of nearly £400+ when you factor in the AppleCare. In a lot of cases I've found that a brand-new Mac at student prices is more competitively priced than a used 2013/2014 model.

If you'd like any more information on how to do this, please feel free to quote my post and I'll elucidate any concerns you have. :)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hi buddy, if you know anybody in higher education (preferably University) you can buy a brand-new Mac through Apple's education store. You'll save 15% off RRP and also get free 3-year AppleCare.

The reason I mention that is because it's a hefty saving of nearly £400+ when you factor in the AppleCare. In a lot of cases I've found that a brand-new Mac at student prices is more competitively priced than a used 2013/2014 model.

If you'd like any more information on how to do this, please feel free to quote my post and I'll elucidate any concerns you have. :)

Just saying: You can buy a Mac for yourself if you are a student, or if you are working at a university. You can also buy a Mac for your children (and probably for your wife) if they are students at a university. They can't sell that Mac to you. It is for that student only.

There are other workplaces where you get rebates, for example the NHS, or if your company has some deal with Apple.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Just saying: You can buy a Mac for yourself if you are a student, or if you are working at a university. You can also buy a Mac for your children (and probably for your wife) if they are students at a university. They can't sell that Mac to you. It is for that student only.

There are other workplaces where you get rebates, for example the NHS, or if your company has some deal with Apple.

True, but if you have a friend who is a student, and you transfer them the money to buy the Mac for you, you get a brand-new Mac, 15% off and free 3-year AppleCare. The warranty is valid if you're not that person -- they don't ID you when you take it to an Apple Store for repair.

That's enough of a saving for me to brush off the fact that it's not 'meant for me'. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.