Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prudenspatiens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2014
I suppose that I am not the only one waiting for Anandtech's word on the new retina iMac. Ryan Smith said on Tweeter on october 31st that he would publish it "next week", but we are more than a month later and there is no sign of the review! I wonder what is taking them took so long and why they did not respect the expectations that they generated. Any thoughts?

GlynG

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
I keep checking for their review of it too. I guess they want to more thoroughly test it or something.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I have been aware of this too, something has gone wrong. Is it a commercial decision or have things just gone down hill since Anand left? It just doesn't make sense that they said it would be 'next week' over a month ago (I saw the Tweet too).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If memory served me, there was a long delay in the rMBP review as well. I can't say that i'm overly surprised.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I have been aware of this too, something has gone wrong. Is it a commercial decision or have things just gone down hill since Anand left? It just doesn't make sense that they said it would be 'next week' over a month ago (I saw the Tweet too).

There's no possible way Anandtech could ever be the same after Anand left. I refer to the site now as "tech."

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
There's no possible way Anandtech could ever be the same after Anand left. I refer to the site now as "tech."

Yeah, he really was a legend. I read his self written obituary and how he left the site in good hands but there really isn't anything to compare. He was a brilliant journalist, amazingly he was self self taught. But he perfectly walked the tightrope of an incredibly knowledgable tech that impressed his enthusiasm and yet could still write for the layman.

The current crop don't hit the same heights and dare I say it are quite a boring read.

Gone but not forgotten.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Its really a shame IMO. I don't have another goto for quality tech reviews that I'd come to expect from Anandtech.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Its really a shame IMO. I don't have another goto for quality tech reviews that I'd come to expect from Anandtech.

At the end of the day it was all about money. But don't begrudge Anand that, he paid his dues. Let's hope there will be another site we all end up latching onto as Anandtech becomes more and more irrelevant as time goes on. Let me know if you find one.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I have been with Anand since the very beginning. About 1996 if I recall. He was and is truly one of the greats. So rare when it happens, so wonderful. But, as with all of us, the comet burns dim, then bright, then dim. That is the way.

But Ford still makes good cars even though Henry Ford is dead.

All Anand's hard work does not instantly turn bad as soon as he leaves.

I will be giving it a chance and cutting it/them some slack. Because the time with Anand was that good. And his legacy deserves my respect.

zAAz

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
I emailed Ryan Smith about when the review would be online. His responded on November 29:
"Sometime early in December. If not the first week then the second week for sure."

That would mean next week at the latest.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
@zAAz - thanks for doing that, I too have been patiently waiting on the review before ordering my machine. However, I had to pull the trigger last week to have any chance of getting it before the holidays so I hope the review is good! If not then I guess I still have the option to return or change the configuration. I went with 4GHz i7, 1TB SSD, 295x GPU and 8GB RAM (adding 16GB from Crucial myself) so not much I can change really. My biggest concern is the 295x GPU and whether it is being pushed beyond a sensible thermal envelope. I hope AnandTech review the 295x config otherwise it probably won't shine much light for me.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
@zAAz - thanks for doing that, I too have been patiently waiting on the review before ordering my machine. However, I had to pull the trigger last week to have any chance of getting it before the holidays so I hope the review is good! If not then I guess I still have the option to return or change the configuration. I went with 4GHz i7, 1TB SSD, 295x GPU and 8GB RAM (adding 16GB from Crucial myself) so not much I can change really. My biggest concern is the 295x GPU and whether it is being pushed beyond a sensible thermal envelope. I hope AnandTech review the 295x config otherwise it probably won't shine much light for me.

The 295x is fine. It just runs hot and throttles a little. That's about it. No real surprises. It's a great machine. I've been loving mine since day 1.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I am enjoying mine, but I'll still read the review, of course.

It is a fantastic machine and since I do not do any hard core stuff with it, I am OK with the heat, or in my case, lack thereof. I did get the 295x because that is a whole lotta pixels to be moving around no matter what :)

Thanks again, Anand, for all your amazing work!

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I hope AnandTech review the 295x config otherwise it probably won't shine much light for me.

Their tweet said it was most likely going to be a 290, but then it also said the review would be out weeks ago. Things change.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
I emailed Ryan Smith about when the review would be online. His responded on November 29:
"Sometime early in December. If not the first week then the second week for sure."

That would mean next week at the latest.

They're running out of time to get that review released this week... :confused:

prudenspatiens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2014
One of the most critical aspects of being a journalist is hitting your deadlines.

Yeah, and it looks especially bad in this case since the deadline seems to be "self-imposed".

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
... and there we go, second deadline missed.

Yeah, I tweeted to them a few days ago but didn't get an answer either. Very disappointing really.

https://twitter.com/meerkat1410/status/543378394046791680

To be honest, I'm at the point where I really couldn't care less what they say in their review because the time when it could have made a difference has passed. My iMac is preparing for shipment from Apple and therefore I'll spend up to 14 days doing my own review once it arrives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.