Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
My vote goes to the 17" iMac G4 (aka Luxo, aka iLamp, aka iBoob...). I think this surely must rank as one of the most ergonomically sound computer designs ever. I LOVED sharing my screen at my desk with colgeagues with this think.

**Ironically -- or maybe more like to be expected -- this thing was a NIGHTMARE to work on, and possibly deserves a title as least friendly Mac to work on... at least until the new generation thin iMacs.

http://youtu.be/8gtxo_AN0-U

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have to say the G4 cube, is my favorite
g4cube.jpg

Of course the Mac that started this is one of my favorites as well :)
128.png

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Curious - How was the iMac G4 a nightmare to work on? People didn't seem to have a problem with using it in the photo lab in school back in the day.

I'd personally have to say the scroll wheel. While the iPod is no more, that design lives on, even on stuff not made by Apple.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
yeah I love the lampshade iMac too

I had the same 17" lampshade iMac too. I loved that machine. I never had a problem with Photoshop and web design using this machine.

To me that was functional and sported a wonderful design. And those speakers!

Attachments

• iu.jpeg
    iu.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 387

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
**Ironically -- or maybe more like to be expected -- this thing was a NIGHTMARE to work on, and possibly deserves a title as least friendly Mac to work on... at least until the new generation thin iMacs.

I've had mine apart several times(all within a few days of each other-long story) but didn't find it appreciably difficult at least to do the basics like replace the hard drive(which I ended up doing three times in a short span of time :rolleyes: ).

Once the top and bottom of the "dome" are separated, it is a bit awkward to handle, but disconnecting all the cables leaves the logic board in full view and easy to access. The HDD and ODD in the top of the dome are similarly easy to get to. The worst part of disconnecting the cables is getting the display connector loose, as it's retained by a U shaped piece of plastic that needs to be peeled back so that the cable can be disconnected.

Somewhere in my adventures into mine, I managed to pinch the airport antenna, which necessitated another trip into the computer and removal of the logic board in order to install the replacement. Now that I know to watch for that, I would have no future reservations about getting into another one.

Of course, there's also the whole issue of cleaning and reapplying thermal paste to the "thermal pipes" every time the computer is opened, but I'd consider this an overall minor issue.

I contrast this with the similar-vintage eMac-I got a good part of the way into mine with the intention of replacing the hard drive(I wanted a bigger one in it), but never even saw the hard drive in it despite following several online tear-down guides. There's also the whole fact that there are potentially lethal capacitors in the eMac not present in the iMac G4(and later).

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'm pretty sure that by "work on" he meant "repair" or "disassemble in a non-destructive way".

Ah, well in that case, I'd have to disagree.

I opened my iMac G4 a few months ago. Was pretty impressed with how quick and easy it was. I was just sticking in an Airport Extreme card in it, but still felt that I would have no problem going further into it.

I accidentally pricked my finger removing my keyboard on a 2006 MacBook Pro in comparison. :eek: I found it hard to put back together too especially with the clips.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Depends on how one defines 'Best Apple Designs Ever'.

I love the iPod classic - it travels in my briefcase and on every train, plane, bus, car or other form of transport I take, and it has immeasurably enhanced my 'quality' of life.

However, actually addressing the second half of the question, the one that reads 'For Me Personally' (and then mulling over what might have been the 'Best Apple Designs Ever' when attached to 'me personally') it is, undoubtedly, my MBA.

I travel a lot, and work in a pretty 'mobile' environment. Thus, I value speed, reliability, power, and uber-portability; for me, in terms of being able to use a fast, reliable, powerful and ultra portable stylish computer all the time, nothing touches the MBA. A great design, and (like the iPod) one which also lives a lot in my briefcase, but which is also out and about on coffee tables and desks, as well.

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
Maybe my memory is not serving me well... or it's been the years since, but I recall having no fun replacing the HD. Maybe the wireless was simpler repair?

Ah, well in that case, I'd have to disagree.

I opened my iMac G4 a few months ago. Was pretty impressed with how quick and easy it was. I was just sticking in an Airport Extreme card in it, but still felt that I would have no problem going further into it.

I accidentally pricked my finger removing my keyboard on a 2006 MacBook Pro in comparison. :eek: I found it hard to put back together too especially with the clips.

----------

Yes, poor wording on my part.

I'm pretty sure that by "work on" he meant "repair" or "disassemble in a non-destructive way".

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I vote for the iMac G4 17". I may be biased though since I own one, speakers and all. :D

I wish Apple still made a computer with a screen that's so easy to turn and show things to people without them having to come over to you.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
Everyone is going for hardware designs... but I'm going to go for software design instead... aside from the obvious answer (original Mac OS).... I think 10.0 was a major leap forward in OS design. There was nothing even close to it before it came out.

Even simple things like being able to close windows that were in the background without first making them active was huge. And let's not forget how kickass the dock was... blew the pants off the launcher.

Dan70

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
England
Mac Mini late 2012 model looks beautiful... but:

The iPhone 5s, Gold version is the most attractive electronic device I've ever seen in my entire life. It's so well designed and looks beautiful. I think they destroyed the look of the iPhone with the 6 and 6 Plus. They're so ugly.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
The iPhone 6 is a work of art and the regular version (not plus) is the best size.

The lines are sloppy in my opinion.

The iPhone 4 and 5 in slate are my favorite. I also really like the iPod Mini. It was my first Apple device and it looked crisp and was very functional with the belt clip.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Of the Apple products I've owned, my personal favorite has to be the Powermac G4 I had. The looks, the way the door swung out and the motherboard was right there, and how quiet it was when operating. Really liked it.

There's also something to be said for when the Apple TV 2 was first released. Amazing how small it was.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The lines are sloppy in my opinion.

The iPhone 4 and 5 in slate are my favorite. I also really like the iPod Mini. It was my first Apple device and it looked crisp and was very functional with the belt clip.

The 5 and earlier has squared of edges vs rounded... I see no sloppiness , but am not planning on arguing about it. ;)

Last edited:

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
The 5 and earlier has squared of edges vs rounded... I see no sloppiness , but am not planning in arguing about it. ;)

I'm indifferent about squared vs rounded edges. I mean the antenna bands on the 6 take away from the design, otherwise it looks good (though the space grey could be more like the grey on the 5s at least...).

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
The rMBP is the most flawless execution I've ever seen from Apple, design-wise. However hard I try I can't find a single "ugh" about it. Maybe the whole unibody design in general, actually. They really did set an example for laptop assembly for years to come.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
My avatar pic is likely a hint, but personally I've got to go with my own first Mac - - a PowerBook Duo.

e0139376_2335713.jpg

Weighing in at a mere 4.1 pounds and slightly smaller at 10.9″ x 8.5″ than a sheet of paper, only 1.4″ thick, it was the lightest and smallest of all of Apple’s PowerBooks and MacBooks. Only the MacBook Air weighs less [as of 2010], though wider and deeper, but considerably thinner making it the second smallest subnotebook overall.

It may look a bit old fashioned now, but in 1992 it was a revelation.

(Note: The desktop Duo Dock Plus, which ejected the Duo like a VHS tape was all part of the beautiful system design!)

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
Oh yeah! The speakers... I still have a set laying around. Too bad it takes too much hacking or $$ to make them usable on current systems!:(

I had the same 17" lampshade iMac too. I loved that machine. I never had a problem with Photoshop and web design using this machine.

To me that was functional and sported a wonderful design. And those speakers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.