Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radesousa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Hi folks:
I have a vexing problem. When I bought my iMac in 2008 I partitioned my hard drive to run Boot Camp to install Windows XP. Ever since then every thing ran okay until a couple of days ago when I booted into to Boot Camp and tried to run Windows XP the screen would position the image so I couldn't execute the program. When I quit Windows and rebooted again, instead of going through OS X then to my Boot Camp partition my iMac booted up directly to Windows. Now when I restart my iMac boots directly to Windows and I'm stuck in this loop! I tried holding down the shift key and reboot and I still go directly to Windows XP. Help!! :(

Rich

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Try holding down the option/alt key instead of shift. The option key is what brings up the boot menu. Once there, choose your Mac drive.

radesousa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Try holding down the option/alt key instead of shift. The option key is what brings up the boot menu. Once there, choose your Mac drive.

Thanks for responding! I've partially solved my problem. I'm no longer caught in the loop with my iMac booting up directly into Windows by holding down the "F" key so Windows boots up to "Safe" but the program I wanted to activate still opens up the program in a location of my screen where I can't access the password. However, when I closed Windows and my iMac and turned on my iMac and held down the "Option" key I was able to see the icons which allowed me to activate my iMac again or open Windows in Boot Camp. But when I chose to open Windows and activate my Windows program I'm still stuck with the password window in the wrong location of the screen which means I can't activate the Windows program. So I still need help! I may have to take my iMac to an Apple store in Palo Alto. :(

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
Try changing the screen resolution. A higher resolution will show more on the screen, and might allow you to login, or at least move the PW window to a more accessible location.

Once you can get to it, you can change the resolution back again.

Also, if you want Mac to be your default boot drive, make sure you select it as your startup disk in Preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.