Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike1212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
I just upgrade my cellphone to iPhone 6, and I bought a KAYSCASE ArmorHolster Case

I'm a civil engineer and I work in the field all the time. I love holster cases because they are really convenience. The belt clip from the kayscase armorholster clips tight so I don't even have to wear a belt.

I was dating a girl for a couple times now and we are getting closer to each other, and last night, she told me that she likes everything about me but the holster case. She says holster belongs to the 90's.

It's a bit shocking because the CEO of my company, a fashion sensible guy who's in suit and ties every day also wears holster cases, and he just bought a 6+.

I would like to get your guys' opinion. Is holster case still in? Or even, is American fashion still in?

These are some pictures for the KAYSCASE ArmorHolster case. Sorry about the picture quality. They are taken by my iPhone 4. iPhone 6 picture quality is way better, but I have to take a picture for it.

image.jpeg

I like the little stand feature

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

Good non-slippery finish.

image_4.jpeg

The belt clip can turn into a stand as well, but I'm not sure how to use it.

image_5.jpeg

Linky to iPhone 6+ in case you are interested.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
Hmmmm interesting. American fashion recycles itself every few or so years. First time I've ever heard of anyone saying the holster case is 90's style. I still see some folks using their phones in holsters, including my dad. They can be pretty useful depending on your line of work.

Mike1212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Thanks for your opinion! "useful is the opposite of fashionable" quoted my girlfriend. :p

Hmmmm interesting. American fashion recycles itself every few or so years. First time I've ever heard of anyone saying the holster case is 90's style. I still see some folks using their phones in holsters, including my dad. They can be pretty useful depending on your line of work.

ravage73

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
holster cases are a MUST if u actually work for a living. ive bumped my phone on things multiple times because it was in my pocket. having it in a holster or a pouch on my side is great.

but...when im home, it goes in my pocket.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
IMHO it shouldn't matter whether its fashionable or not. If holsters work for you then thats all that matters. Dare to be different and not go along with the crowd. :D

BTW your holster looks very rugged and at least for work (depending on what you do) your phone is fully protected. Enjoy!

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
It all depends on who you are and what your do.

If you like it, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Unfortunately, I am on of those dads, but I wear my shirts out, so you never see my holster. I just don't like carrying phones in my pockets. Never have.

To each his own...

wendimc

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2014
Fashionable: No
Practical: Maybe -You're a civil engineer so I can see how it might be useful.

My advise: Wear it for work and get a different case for when you go out on a date or for the weekend. A holster case is a bit like those bluetooth earpieces. Ok if you are at work but super annoying to go out with someone in your free time and they have one of those stuck to their ears.

If nothing else helps: Live and let live.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
sorry bro but holster cases were never, ever "in"

fine for working in the field if youre a contractor or whatever, not fine for outside of work hours

golftime

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2013
Northeast
Depending on what I am wearing, I occasionally use a holster, but I came from the business world where I carried a BB in a holster since they first hit the market. The habit has been hard for me to kick, and the phone just doesn't feel right in some pants pockets. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would be wary of a girlfriend who wants to dictate how I carry my phone, but to each his own.

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
It's not an attractive look, but it seems rugged and practical. If you need that for your job, then don't make sacrifices for the sake of fashion.

If your GF really thinks your phone case is your biggest flaw, then I'd say you're doing pretty well!

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Having seen the posts of what some people have for cases around here, I would be hesitant to take fashion advices from this forum ;)

On the other hand, I think holster case are a so far on the other side of fashion that one can't go wrong putting them down now a day. It's a shame because while I never like them (I don't wear a belt), I can see how practical they are.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I think your GF shouldn't really care about something as silly as a phone holster case. If she really cares about you and you have a good relationship, she probably meant it just messing around. If she actually thinks less of you because of it, then there's a problem in the relationship.

I hope for your sake it's the first case. I wear a phone holster at work because it's one less thing in my pocket all day, every day M-F. It goes in my pocket on the weekends, not really because of fashion but because it gets in the way out of work.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I don't see this fashion bull. When you have a phone that could bend in the pocket a holster is logical. I use a nice leather one for my iPhone 6.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I would like to get your guys' opinion. Is holster case still in?
They're not but it's up to you to determine if that matters. I use one with my work device since my pocket holds my personal device. I don't carry the work device after hours though.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
It all depends on who you are and what your do.

If you like it, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Unfortunately, I am on of those dads, but I wear my shirts out, so you never see my holster. I just don't like carrying phones in my pockets. Never have.

To each his own...
Not a dad here, but I'm old enough not to care anymore what other people think about what I wear or how I wear it. It's one of the few advantages of getting old, and it's actually pretty liberating! :D I've got a holster - don't use it often, but when I need it I'll put it on the belt and not give a damn about what anybody thinks of it.

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
I used to always rock a holster, until I upgraded to the 6+. I see you have the 6, so I don't know the exact size, but I couldn't get used to such a big device on my hip. I ended up getting a minimal case and putting it in my pocket after years of holster wearing. I don't mind it so much. I can see what your girl is saying though lol.:cool:

I actually had that Kayscase for my 6+. Just too much bulk. Definitely a good concept for protection and a kickstand, but just too much lol.

Mike1212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
I used to always rock a holster, until I upgraded to the 6+. I see you have the 6, so I don't know the exact size, but I couldn't get used to such a big device on my hip. I ended up getting a minimal case and putting it in my pocket after years of holster wearing. I don't mind it so much. I can see what your girl is saying though lol.:cool:

I actually had that Kayscase for my 6+. Just too much bulk. Definitely a good concept for protection and a kickstand, but just too much lol.

jumping from a holster case to a minimal case is a big change. I drop my phone too many times and usually on rough concrete floor, so those "skin" cases won't work for me. anyway, guess it's my job that is not in. lol!

Mike1212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Fashionable: No
Practical: Maybe -You're a civil engineer so I can see how it might be useful.

My advise: Wear it for work and get a different case for when you go out on a date or for the weekend. A holster case is a bit like those bluetooth earpieces. Ok if you are at work but super annoying to go out with someone in your free time and they have one of those stuck to their ears.

If nothing else helps: Live and let live.

For some reason I missed all the replies, and thought no one is interested in this topic.... until today.

You mentioned bluetooth earphones... I have that, too! :mad:

Anyway, thank you all for your advice! I just showed this link to my girl friend and we had a very good laugh. I'm still using the case for work, and she's going to buy me a case for our dates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.