Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Guys,

Currently, if my iCloud account is accessed online I receive an email telling me that the account has been accessed. BUT the email is received on my iCloud email.... so if it has been accessed by someone dodgy all they have to do is delete that email and I'd been none the wiser.

Is there a way of setting up a non Apple email address where these warning emails can go?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
My AppleID, is non-Apple, a private domain. Many people use gmail or whatever for their AppleID. Those emails go there.

I recommend changing.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
My AppleID, is non-Apple, a private domain. Many people use gmail or whatever for their AppleID. Those emails go there.

I recommend changing.

Sorry Menel, I don't understand.

Surely I can't log in to iCloud or iTunes etc using a Gmail account, can I?

How do I change to hotmail where emails are sent to when iCloud is accessed?

imasterus

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Why not to create a filter and forward these specific warning messages from your iCloud email to hotmail one?

imasterus

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
I think his Apple ID is an iCloud email address, so the email goes to his iCloud email when him (or someone) logs into his iCloud Email address. I'm not sure if you can change where the email goes, but this should help if you set this up:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5570
First of all, you can't register Apple ID without existing email, which means that your Apple ID email is always a non-iCloud email (Gmail, Hotmail, whatever). And, originally, you do receive warning messages from Apple to your Apple ID email. So, for TS it is better to forward warning messages from Apple to another email account. Another option is to have a second email account for recovery: you can have your Apple ID password reset and sent to your recovery email (which is hidden unless you answer all security questions).
Of sure, no recovery option can beat 2-step verification, but it is not available in all countries (like mine).

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
First of all, you can't register Apple ID without existing email, which means that your Apple ID email is always a non-iCloud email (Gmail, Hotmail, whatever). And, originally, you do receive warning messages from Apple to your Apple ID email. So, for TS it is better to forward warning messages from Apple to another email account. Another option is to have a second email account for recovery: you can have your Apple ID password reset and sent to your recovery email (which is hidden unless you answer all security questions).
Of sure, no recovery option can beat 2-step verification, but it is not available in all countries (like mine).

Yes you can. I just made an Apple ID for my sister, my mom, and other family members and it's their iCloud.com email address too. When you set up an iOS device (you can do this on a Mac also) and you don't have an Apple ID, it will ask you to make one. Then there is an option if you want to to make an iCloud email address also and use that as your Apple ID. This is how I did it for them, so yes it can be done.

I am assuming this is what the OP did also, because the people who I help make an Apple ID for, that warning email goes to their iCloud email. Now my email goes to what my Apple ID is, my Outlook email address.

True, you can't change an existing Apple ID to an iCloud email address, but you can create an Apple ID with an iCloud email address.

Last edited:

imasterus

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Yes you can. I just made an Apple ID for my sister, my mom, and other family members and it's their iCloud.com email address too. When you set up an iOS device (you can do this on a Mac also) and you don't have an Apple ID, it will ask you to make one. Then there is an option if you want to to make an iCloud email address also and use that as your Apple ID. This is how I did it for them, so yes it can be done.

I have just tried to open an apple id at apple website - it says that apple id email can't use a domain owned by Apple.

screenshot

Last edited:

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I have just tried to open an apple id at apple website - it says that apple id email can't use a domain owned by Apple.

screenshot

That's why I said "setting up an iOS device"..... I think that is the only way to do this.

I'm not about to resort my iPhone just to show you either. I did this a total of 4 times, all 4 people have an iCloud email addess as their Apple ID.

Edit: I was able to do this from my MacBook, screenshot added. So it seemd you can only do this from an Apple product itself.
Even under the box where is says "name@icloud.com" it says "this will be your new Apple ID"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

screenshot

I think where we are getting confused here is AppleID vs. iCloud account (that uses an AppleID). It looks like you were trying to create an AppleID.

If you get a new Mac or iOS device you can setup a new iCloud account with no existing email. You don't do it through the web site though. On OS X you go to System Prefs and do it though the iCloud pane there.

OP> I think your best option if to turn on two factor authentication for your account. That is very effective for blocking the type of access you are concerned about.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks for the replies and tips guys.

My main ID is my .me email address. My alternate email is an non Apple email address.

For me to access iTunes and App Store I currently use my .me address. If I change this will I not lose my apps and music?

It would make a lot more sense if Apple were to allow people to have their primary email address as the .me / icloud email account and have an alternate email address where warnings are sent. Why would any company want a user to use a competitors email address as their primary email account?!?!?!?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
For me to access iTunes and App Store I currently use my .me address. If I change this will I not lose my apps and music?

Yes, that's the problem with all this and Apple not providing any way to merge accounts. If you want to keep your Apps an music, you are stuck with that account forever.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
It would make a lot more sense if Apple were to allow people to have their primary email address as the .me / icloud email account and have an alternate email address where warnings are sent.
I don't understand. This is exactly what the "rescue email address" does. Note: This is *not* the same as the "alternate address". See the support article I linked above.
Why would any company want a user to use a competitors email address as their primary email account?!?!?!?
It is primarily for historical reasons. Apple IDs for iTunes existed before Apple had its own mail service.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I don't understand. This is exactly what the "rescue email address" does. Note: This is *not* the same as the "alternate address". See the support article I linked above.
It is primarily for historical reasons. Apple IDs for iTunes existed before Apple had its own mail service.

Thanks Rigby. From what I can see, the rescue email address is solely for when you forget your password etc. It's not where Apple will send an email to inform you that your iCloud account has been accessed.

Apple only send that notification to my Apple ID address.

xoAnna

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
Planet Earth…
A few years ago Tim Cook said they were 'working on it' regarding the merging of ID's and we're nearly four years on and not a thing has been done.

Apple Still Working on Allowing Merging of Apple IDs

I wish they would get it going so I can stop using my old Gmail address which has the bulk of my iTunes purchases on it.

I'd nearly forgotten that he said that! I wonder if this was something that Jobs wanted fixed and resolved but when he passed said plan went into the grave with him (RIP) and the plan got scrapped by result... This is just my 2 cents and I could be dead wrong about it, too.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'd nearly forgotten that he said that! I wonder if this was something that Jobs wanted fixed and resolved but when he passed said plan went into the grave with him (RIP) and the plan got scrapped by result... This is just my 2 cents and I could be dead wrong about it, too.

Yah, who knows? I do wish they'd get it working though. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.