Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodrigo Lizana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Santiago Chile
Hi all :

I'm in the process of upgrading my 4.1 2x2.26 Ghz Mac Pro to handle 2k Da Vinci resolve color correction and Avid editing.

I started with the drives and now it's all SSD. 4x 480GB raid 5 SSD (under Apple Raid controller card) plus another 480GB SSD on the second optical Bay as a start up disc. With the Raid I'm getting something like 350/550 write/read speeds which is Ok for what I need.

Second I'm for the GPU. I've got 3x EVGA GTX 680 4GB RAM (flashed for Mac). One goes inside the Mac as a the regular video card and the two others will go inside a Cubix Xpander for GPU processing. But my questions goes for the one inside the Mac... :

Can I run two 27" Apple Cinema displays at max resolution from one GTX 680 ?.
Should I use both DVI ports (one for each monitor) on the GTX for that purpose ?. Do I need any adapters ?.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot !!!.

Rodrigo

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
You need the dvi-"dual link" to mini displayport from atlona $100...they also offer the dvi non dual to mini displayport that will not work....paired with one displayport regular to mini displaport adapter $7

Rodrigo Lizana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Santiago Chile
Thanks for the suggestions. There also seems to be an Apple DVI dual link to mini display port available (much smaller).

The GTX 680 4GB, I believe it also comes with a display port. Wouldn't make more sense to go from there into the mini display port (via adapter) to the monitor ?.

Thanks again !

----------

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/790254-REG

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Can I run two 27" Apple Cinema displays at max resolution from one GTX 680 ?.

Yes

Should I use both DVI ports (one for each monitor) on the GTX for that purpose ?. Do I need any adapters ?.

No, use one Display Port and one DVI Port.

Thanks for the suggestions. There also seems to be an Apple DVI dual link to mini display port available (much smaller).

The Apple adapter is an MiniDisplayPort to Dual-Link-DVI-Adapter, not DVI Dual Link to MiniDisplayPort. You need MDP for your LED cinema display.

The GTX 680 4GB, I believe it also comes with a display port. Wouldn't make more sense to go from there into the mini display port (via adapter) to the monitor ?.

You need also a DisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort adapter like this: http://www.ramelectronics.net/product.aspx?zpid=1518

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.