Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tparfitt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Hi all,

Spent many hours trying to solve this issue but really hit a wall.

So, recently I upgraded my wifi router to a WDR3600 to go with new fibre broadband (Old router was slow and couldn't have many users connected at once). At first it was great, had really fast 5Ghz performance on my iMac around 32-35mbps. I then updated the firmware on the router as there were some issues with 2.4ghz performance on PC devices on my network.

However recently the 5ghz performance on my iMac has been reduced and dropped to 6-14mbps. The signal is not great but still present as I am a few rooms away from the router but as my iPhone 6, and MBA all get the top speeds from this channel in the exact same spot, I can't see how its a range/signal issue. The iPhone and MBA are both able to get 33-37mbps, with my broadband coming into the router at 39mbps.

Even on 2.4Ghz my iMac only is able to achieve 22mbps. I have played around with channels and channel widths with no real change. I have also updated to 10.9.5 and reset PRAM and SMC.

Is this a problem with my wireless card on my iMac, or am I missing something simple.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.