Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
Hey guys don't know if anyone's checked but my local bestbuy has stocked up on fre cases. Both black and white. Picked up a white one to test out. I'll leave my review after a few days

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 309
Last edited:

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I just got one a few days ago and I have to say after using the fre for previous iPhones this one hits the mark in some good ways and some things need to be worked out. The first thing I noticed was how thin this case is, it's like having a fairly thin case on your phone and it has a built in screen shield. The screen cover lies very flat (better than previous iterations), the sound coming out of the earpiece is great! Callers told me they could hear me fine and I had no problem hearing them. The speaker is good, there is some vibrational feedback when watching videos or using the speaker but if you turn the volume down a bit or put your finger on the back panel of the case it helps. There are only two downsides to this case. First the screen cover is clear but it does pixelate it a little, not severly or like a anti glare shield would but it is somewhat noticeable if you are particular about clarity. The last one is the mute switch is hit or miss as far as working so much so I am on my third one. The two previous worked for about two seconds but then stopped. This one works pretty well *fingers crossed*. I had to get my third case from a different best buy so maybe it was a bad batch? Outside of that it's my daily driver and I think I will be sticking to this for awhile.

long86

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
I just got one a few days ago and I have to say after using the fre for previous iPhones this one hits the mark in some good ways and some things need to be worked out. The first thing I noticed was how thin this case is, it's like having a fairly thin case on your phone and it has a built in screen shield. The screen cover lies very flat (better than previous iterations), the sound coming out of the earpiece is great! Callers told me they could hear me fine and I had no problem hearing them. The speaker is good, there is some vibrational feedback when watching videos or using the speaker but if you turn the volume down a bit or put your finger on the back panel of the case it helps. There are only two downsides to this case. First the screen cover is clear but it does pixelate it a little, not severly or like a anti glare shield would but it is somewhat noticeable if you are particular about clarity. The last one is the mute switch is hit or miss as far as working so much so I am on my third one. The two previous worked for about two seconds but then stopped. This one works pretty well *fingers crossed*. I had to get my third case from a different best buy so maybe it was a bad batch? Outside of that it's my daily driver and I think I will be sticking to this for awhile.

I also bought this case from Best Buy last week and agree with your review. I'm on my second case due to the silent switch not working. The switch on the first completely stopped working about a day after I bought it, I think the plastic piece that connects the switch to the case came loose. However, the switch on the second case is working great. When I put the second case on I could tell that the fit was much tighter than the first case. I'm surprised of the improvement in call quality, this was an issue on the Iphone 5 case.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Anyone else's headphone corner slightly cracked open appearing and not flush like rest of case? Yes, it's snapped together but wondering if I should be worried...

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Maybe I'm picky. Unno it just doesn't look quite right. I feel for ~$85 it should look and function perfectly. Maybe I'm wrong. I think I'm going to exchange it at BB. Just hope next one I get doesn't have mute switch problems because that aspect is perfect on this case. Agh lol

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Anyone else's headphone corner slightly cracked open appearing and not flush like rest of case? Yes, it's snapped together but wondering if I should be worried...

There's a little gap in mine but nowhere near as wide as yours. Even with the little gap mine passed the water test. Definitely take it back.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
So I contacted Lifeproof about the gap near the headphone cover and a very confused and unknowledgeable rep told me yeah that's there so you can open the case better. I was like that doesn't sound right and it looks like the case doesn't close all the way. She was of course blowing me off and of no help. It just appears to me if you have a problem with the case return to best buy (or wherever it was purchased) and don't contact Lifeproof.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
So I contacted Lifeproof about the gap near the headphone cover and a very confused and unknowledgeable rep told me yeah that's there so you can open the case better. I was like that doesn't sound right and it looks like the case doesn't close all the way. She was of course blowing me off and of no help. It just appears to me if you have a problem with the case return to best buy (or wherever it was purchased) and don't contact Lifeproof.

I'm sure they're getting a atrocious amount of emails and calls about questions etc. You'd think with a new product launch they'd be prepared. Meh

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I am using my phone naked, but I am considering getting one for kayaking and taking photos in the rain.

I do wish they produce a version without the logo cut out. I find it really tacky. Why is there a need to advertise what phone it is enclosing unless you are a walking commercial.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Can someone please confirm if this works with Zagg glass?

I can confirm I couldn't get it to work. Had case friendly version and had no luck. Spaced it just enough...

Of course, I went back to BB and they were out of black. So I couldn't trade. Facepalm. I think maybe this one is ok. Unno. Took back off and straightened it out and seemed to have helped a little bit. Maybe it's ok. Unsure

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2013
LA California
I can confirm I couldn't get it to work. Had case friendly version and had no luck. Spaced it just enough...

Of course, I went back to BB and they were out of black. So I couldn't trade. Facepalm. I think maybe this one is ok. Unno. Took back off and straightened it out and seemed to have helped a little bit. Maybe it's ok. Unsure

thanks!

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma

I'm not saying it's impossible but with mine I wasn't comfortable with it, myself personally. Maybe it would work for others but... I already have problem as seen above and it would certainly make it worse before better.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Lifeproof Fr now at bestbuy!

Found me a replacement in Target. FYI Target has em now. Local best buy Had em yesterday, today none. Must've got bum rushed on em.

Second case sealed completely in corners. Mute switch feels like crap though. Facepalm. Lol. Can't win for trying

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
FYI I think I found a fix for those of us having mute switch problems. I made sure mute switch on phone opposite case switch, so it would slide into groove per se in case and with phone out, physically pushed mute switch in on Lifeproof case so that it "went further inside case". Reassembled making sure switch went in slot and now all appears well/better.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
All that craziness you had to go through I'm glad you found one that works and everything is solved.

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
Well first impressions-

The case screen clicks whenever i press it down by the home button.
and touch id accuracy seems to have gone down to about 65% success rate.

AppleTecFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
N/A
I had a life proof case for my iPhone 4S back in the day, I remeber the screen protector was very slimey and I did not like it, is that the case today for the iPhone 6

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Lifeproof Fr now at bestbuy!

Well first impressions-

The case screen clicks whenever i press it down by the home button.

and touch id accuracy seems to have gone down to about 65% success rate.

First case I had "clicked" a lot worse than this one, that appears to fit properly. Might make sure your corners etc don't look as mine did earlier in thread. I noticed both LifeProofs I have had both had "RevA" on box, leads me to believe they expect more iterations lol. Touchid worked perfectly on both cases I've had so can't comment there. I will say, on first case I had mute switch worked much better and was much more "defined." Eh I decided, for now, proper fitting case more important than mute switch that I rarely use anyways.

FYI BestBuy paying online and picking up in store is a joke. Yesterday I was kind of in a hurry. Paid on app, expected to run in store and pick up. Needless to say, they at the time had the cases stocked on shelf, as I watched numerous people go through normal line and checkout as I waited to pick up merchandise I'd already paid for. Sigh LOL.

deadgame01

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
They are available at Walmart as well.

FYI - Just purchased a black Fre for my iPhone 6 at a local Walmart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.