Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JunBringer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
It seems I can't get a 32GB LTE Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact, which is ridiculous, so now I'm in a place where I have no idea what device to get to replace my Xperia Z Ultra. I need something at least 6 inches with an sd card slot and preferably higher than 1080p. I'd rather not have to get a Galaxy Tab with all the BS they put on those things, it's only worth it to have all that Samsung stuff if it has S-Pen IMO. Thoughts?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Galaxy Tab S 8.4 is pretty nice as is. I don't like the 16:9 aspect as much as the iPad mini personally, but that is the only Android tablet that appeals to me other than the Nexus 9.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What I Wouldn't Give For A Note 8 Refresh

What I wouldn't give for Samsung to actually support their tablet lineup with software updates (OS variety) that update the GUI to match current devices - especially if the hardware specs are identical.

I absolutely detest the software situation on Android tablets and especially Samsung. There is no reason what so ever that the Note Pro tablets of this year could not have been updated swiftly to the Tab S Galaxy UX - instead they languish lost in a fixed period of time cocooned as other devices are released.

I really like my Note 12.2 pro but will never buy another Android tablet unless it's a nexus because of this 'limbo' your device enters regarding its software.

I doubt my note 12.2 will ever see a proper OS update with new GUI. Forever trapped at 4.4.2 with last years Galaxy UX rather than the jazzed up Tab S version - which hardware wise is near identical to the Note Pro (further exacerbating the situation as there is no technological reason Samsung haven't bothered updating it).

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
What I wouldn't give for Samsung to actually support their tablet lineup with software updates (OS variety) that update the GUI to match current devices - especially if the hardware specs are identical.

I absolutely detest the software situation on Android tablets and especially Samsung. There is no reason what so ever that the Note Pro tablets of this year could not have been updated swiftly to the Tab S Galaxy UX - instead they languish lost in a fixed period of time cocooned as other devices are released.

I really like my Note 12.2 pro but will never buy another Android tablet unless it's a nexus because of this 'limbo' your device enters regarding its software.

I doubt my note 12.2 will ever see a proper OS update with new GUI. Forever trapped at 4.4.2 with last years Galaxy UX rather than the jazzed up Tab S version - which hardware wise is near identical to the Note Pro (further exacerbating the situation as there is no technological reason Samsung haven't bothered updating it).

I think this is another symptom of Samsung's 'really a model for everyone' philosophy. With so many different versions of phone and tablet, it's has to be quite an undertaking to try to support the software on all of them. Priority is going to be to their top sellers and even then Samsung hasn't esactly been blazing the trail for quick updates as of late.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

It will probably get one update in about a years time. That's been my experience with the Galaxy tab line up. It is frustrating. They have too many models and it's annoying as the tab line is pretty much obsolete now even though it was released only a few months before the tab S line. It's not like it was cheap at the time either. It had a premium price and the support and service had been rubbish.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It will probably get one update in about a years time. That's been my experience with the Galaxy tab line up. It is frustrating. They have too many models and it's annoying as the tab line is pretty much obsolete now even though it was released only a few months before the tab S line. It's not like it was cheap at the time either. It had a premium price and the support and service had been rubbish.

Indeed, it's like forced device obsolescence by manufacturer apathy ...

Say what you like about iPads, at least they are supported for a significantly longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.