Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

bestof2014.jpg
Apple today released the 2014 version of its iTunes Store awards, which highlights the best music, movies, TV shows, apps, books and podcasts of the year.

Here are some of the top-level winners for 2014:

Apps:
iPhone App of the Year: Elevate - Brain Training
iPhone Game of the Year: Threes!
iPad App of the Year: Pixelmator
iPad Game of the Year: Monument Valley

Music:
Best Artist: Beyoncé
Best Album: 1989 by Taylor Swift
Best Song: Fancy (feat. Charli XCX) by Iggy Azalea
Best New Artist: Sam Smith

Movies:
Best Blockbuster: Guardians of the Galaxy
Best Family Movie: The LEGO Movie
Best Director: Richard Linklater
Best Discovery: Obvious Child

TV Shows:
TV Show of the Year: Fargo
Best Performances: True Detective, Season 1
Best Discovery: The Honorable Woman
Best Breakthrough: Key & Peele, Volume 4

Books:
Best Fiction: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Best Nonfiction: The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace by Jeff Hobbs

Apple has also given its end of the year charts for the most downloaded and top grossing iPhone and iPad apps. For the iPhone, Heads Up!, Facebook Messenger, and Clash of Clans finished as the top paid, top free, and top grossing app, respectively. For the iPad, Minecraft - Pocket Edition, YouTube, and Clash of Clans finished as the top paid, top free, and top grossing app, respectively.

As customary for its end of the year listings, Apple has also highlighted various games and apps from a wide variety of categories. The company is also featuring content across the various genres and categories for each content type.

A list of previous winners are also available here: 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Article Link: Apple's Best of the iTunes Store 2014: 'Elevate' and 'Pixelmator' Win Top App Honors

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
Monument Valley is spot on. Fargo? Not my cup of tea. True Detective and The Honorable Woman would have been much better choices, i believe.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Pixelmator is a great app, they've done a lot of work at improving it, and bringing it to iOS

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
That's weird. On my iPhone the app store tells me that "Replay Video Editor" and "Threes!" are the app & GOTY.

dalecook

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2014
UK
What about Mac App Store too?

Affinity-Designer-Best-App-2014-runner-up-clip.png

*cough*Affinity Designer is runner up*cough* and the winner is Notability.

For Mac games the winner is Tomb Raider and the runner up is Transistor.

For transparency please note I work with the Serif team that makes Affinity Designer :).

Last edited:

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Good to see Threes! taking the prize for best game.

2048 was a shoddy ripoff that got a lot of attention because it was free, so I'm glad Threes! has been recognised.

For those interested, the developers of Threes! grew frustrated with the copycats spawning onto the App Store, and detailed the 14 month development process.

A good read for anybody interested in app development.

http://asherv.com/threes/threemails/

a-bob

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
Beyonce and TS? They must mean most sold...which does not mean the best.

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
I think it's interesting that YouTube is a top download after getting kicked off as a default install. I'm not surprised since video is a killer app for the ipad

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Who is playing Clash of Clans???

I play this game. Really don't have time to play much of anything these days and this is perfect for me. It take a week or more to build something. I can check in once a day and done. What does amaze me is all the impatient folk that spend money to speed up the building. Clearly the developers have figured out how to separate the fools from their money.

A year and a half ago, when I joined, I spent 10 bucks to get me going. But now the slow pace actually fits just right.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Is Apple going to do the 12 days of Christmas app again?

----------

Beyonce and TS? They must mean most sold...which does not mean the best.

But they are the best for somebody.

I so hate this new wave of corporate manufactured 'music'. It's just Milli Vanilli with a thicker coat of paint.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Seems to be a mistake

Music:
Best Artist: Beyoncé
Best Album: 1989 by Taylor Swift
Best Song: Fancy (feat. Charli XCX) by Iggy Azalea
Best New Artist: Sam Smith

I'll correct for you

Music:
Best Artist: U2
Best Album: U2
Best Song: U2
Best New Artist: U2

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
These are always fun to see! Little dissapointed Adventure To Fate didn't get best game haha but there's always next year ;).

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

*cough*Affinity Designer is runner up*cough* and the winner is Notability.

For Mac games the winner is Tomb Raider and the runner up is Transistor.

For transparency please note I work with the Serif team that makes Affinity Designer :).

dalecook, you and your team did an incredible job. Affinity Designer looks amazing! Thank you for the efforts and for pricing it so reasonably.

Looking forward to further releases from Serif. I heard you have a raster graphics application in the works. Is that correct? When can we expect that to hit the shelves?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.