Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amtjb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I am designing a website. I want to put the required option to add ID and password to access the website for each person. What programming language do I need to use. What is a book you can suggest I read to learn how to do this?

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
Oooof! That's a broad topic.

There are many possible combinations. I'm assuming you're already fairly familiar with HTML.

I guess one common combination would be PHP & MySQL, possibly with some JavaScript thrown in. You're going to have a fairly steep learning curve... not that that should put you off - everyone has to start somewhere!

Good luck

nomade

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2006
If you are hosted with a Cpanel service you can password lock a folder.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
So far the comments have been unreasonably kind. I'll be the first honest one here. The only responsible answer to your question is that you should NOT even attempt to roll your own website authentication code! Vulnerabilities are found on a monthly basis for even the most popular CMSs and frameworks that have had hundreds of qualified developers involved in the projects.

What you should do is instead research carefully what established CMS and/or MVC framework that you might want to integrate into your web development project. Even then, you will need to monitor and update that framework frequently to ensure that your website remains safe from vulnerabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.