Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the latest phase of its Priceless Surprises promotion that rewards cardholders for simply using their credit and debit cards, MasterCard is partnering with Gwen Stefani to offer private performances, unique experiences, and other surprises for customers. The campaign comes with a new ad featuring Apple Pay and Stefani's new single, "Spark the Fire."

To kick things off, MasterCard will debut a new 30 second TV spot today featuring Stefani who, with the help of a "Surprise launcher," sends Priceless Surprises to cardholders paying with their MasterCard with Apple Pay. The spot features Stefani's new song, Spark The Fire.

Surprises include everything from handbags and golf experiences to concert tickets, and even a chance to hang out with Gwen Stefani herself. The spot, directed by Sophie Muller of Wondros, exemplifies what the MasterCard platform is about: surprising cardholders with unbelievable prizes while also inspiring them to give, and share their own Priceless Surprises whether they're paying with traditional credit, debit or prepaid cards or using innovative new payment options like Apple Pay.
MasterCard previously featured Apple Pay and its Priceless Surprises program alongside the World Series in October, encouraging Apple Pay users to take advantage of the opportunity to win rewards such as tickets to World Series games and meet-and-greets with baseball stars.

Credit card issuers have also proven to be firmly behind Apple Pay due in large part to increased security. Last month, Chase launched its own ad campaign featuring Fun front man Jack Antonoff's side project Bleachers using Apple Pay around Los Angeles while preparing for a rooftop concert.

Article Link: MasterCard Teams Up With Gwen Stefani to Promote Apple Pay and 'Priceless Surprises'

JohnStrass

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Miami, USA
Not my demographic

OK, us middle age computer people who grew up on TRS-80s and have been loyal to Apple since the Mac. Gwen is now Queen. <flash> rolls eyes </flash>

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
i really want apple pay to roll out in more locations ... I've only been able to use it a few times. Most locations (even major companies) do not have NFC readers by me.

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
So far I have successfully used it at BJs Wholesale, McD's, Toys R Us and Staples. Although at Staples the teeny bopper running the register had no clue what was going on, she didn't even know it was possible to pay with a phone. She needed a manager to press a button to process the payment correctly.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
i really want apple pay to roll out in more locations ... I've only been able to use it a few times. Most locations (even major companies) do not have NFC readers by me.

That makes two of us! Heck I live in an area that has tons of stores and only a hand full of them have NFC readers. So far walgreens and sprouts are the only two!

rfahey79

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
So far I have successfully used it at BJs Wholesale, McD's, Toys R Us and Staples. Although at Staples the teeny bopper running the register had no clue what was going on, she didn't even know it was possible to pay with a phone. She needed a manager to press a button to process the payment correctly.

I had a really comical experience over the weekend at the local subway when the person behind the register kept trying to give me a barcode to scan. Kept telling her just to set the machine to credit card. took about 3 minutes of back and forth before I said "screw it I'll just pay with my card".

She then made a comment that it's safer than paying with the phone, to which I just giggled took my sandwich and left.

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
UK
Please bring it to the UK

We've been using Chip and PIN in the UK for around ten years now and more and more retailers have replaced their Chip and PIN machines with NFC, (Waitrose, M&S, and more!).

We're ready for Apple Pay now!

- D

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I just wish Apple would release an Apple Pay app that told us every place nearby where we could use Apple Pay. That would help me be able to support more businesses that accept Apple Pay.

From what I understand, the MasterCard Nearby app is the closest thing we have; but judging by the reviews of that app on the App Store, it's not a very solid app.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
OK, us middle age computer people who grew up on TRS-80s and have been loyal to Apple since the Mac. Gwen is now Queen. <flash> rolls eyes </flash>

Gwen garners more consumer interest than those middle age computer people. This is a credit card company, not an Apple commercial. It's their job to follow the dollars and exposure. That's pretty obvious.

RealKrS

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007

Tell me about it. Living in Vegas here. So far, I haven't been able to use it ONCE here. None. Even big brand names that are known for using Apple Pay don't even have NFC Readers here. So I just gave up with the idea of using my phone to pay now. I just enjoy my bigger screen and improved camera.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Insert random comment about how I don't know who Gwen Stefani is because I'm too old and/or don't know about anything I consider "mainstream" and assume to be talentless here.

mellomike

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2014
Insert random comment about how I don't know who Gwen Stefani is because I'm too old and/or don't know about anything I consider "mainstream" and assume to be talentless here.

Yup you just totally described 90% of MacRumor comments!

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

She had her biggest hits from 1995-2008, early career in the group NO DOUBT... You must at least know the 1996 hit Don't Speak, that thing was on the radio everywhere for Months and months.

Got a decent voice and nobody who has a 20 year music career with absolutely no talent; though they may not be your cup of tea.

If you haven't heard of her (not even talking music) you must be over 50, under 15, or deft.... ;-).

Jeff Meredith

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
Colorado
We've been using Chip and PIN in the UK for around ten years now and more and more retailers have replaced their Chip and PIN machines with NFC, (Waitrose, M&S, and more!).

We're ready for Apple Pay now!

- D
By replacing you mean enhanced, they haven't got rid of Chip and Pin have they. It's still pretty secure. And No Doubt :)rolleyes:) the UK, Canada and Australia with their greater NFC Adoption are rich environments for :apple: Pay.

----------

I have to give credit to Master Card marketing. Apple Pay is still in the early adoption phase and moving on from World Series promotions to Gwen Stefani raises awareness in different demographics. Gwen Stefani is both a fashion icon and an alternative music icon.

Apple Pay needs more buy in from merchants. Having Sephora (in apps and some stores), Macy's, Bloomingdales, AeoroPostale and American Eagle is important. Getting Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom's, will help. The people who shop at these stores are likely to have the latest phones and have credit that is worth protecting.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit

What is Apple's fascination with old musicians? Really, I'd love to know.

I guess it goes along with Apple's dated music pay-per-song business model.

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.