Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iOS 8.1.2 to the public, introducing bug fixes and addressing an issue that caused ringtones purchased through the iTunes Store to be removed from an iOS device. Apple advises users who have lost ringtones to restore them by visiting itunes.com/restore-tones from their iOS devices.

iOS 8.1.2, carrying a build number of 12B440, was not seeded to developers before being released to the public. The software is available immediately as an over-the-air-download.

ios_8_1_2.jpg
Like iOS 8.1.1, released on November 17, iOS 8.1.2 is a minor update that focuses solely on bug fixes. It does not bundle in any of the major new features that are rumored for iOS 8, like improvements to Maps and split-screen multitasking for the iPad. Apple is also working on iOS 8.2 with the WatchKit SDK, which was seeded to developers in mid-November.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 8.1.2 With Fix for Disappearing Ringtone Issue

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
This definitely sounds like a Scooby Doo episode:

Scooby Doo in the Mystery of the Missing Ringtone

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Hope it fixes all the annoying bugs with the 3rd party keyboards as well as the Spotlight issue where no keyboard is showing up.

But as I'm on 8.2, I wonder if these bug fixes were included in 8.2 beta or are coming in a future update.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
You know what's sad? I used to love software updates. I was one of those people who upgraded everything the second it was released for years. Today, however, with Apple's lately buggy offerings and bad updates (like the recent Safari updated and iOS 8.0.1) I now wait a while. How things have changed...it just doesn't work.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
group text

i hope it fixes the group iMessage error that causes two separate group threads to spawn from one. I think this happens when someone tries to name the group ex: "family"

has anyone else experienced this?

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
You know what's sad? I used to love software updates. I was one of those people who upgraded everything the second it was released for years. Today, however, with Apple's lately buggy offerings and bad updates (like the recent Safari updated and iOS 8.0.1) I now wait a while. How things have changed...it just doesn't work.

I don't. I update right away. Since we're all talking about how we like to update our devices.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
i hope it fixes the group iMessage error that causes two separate group threads to spawn from one. I think this happens when someone tries to name the group ex: "family"

has anyone else experienced this?

I think it happens to me when people use different devices to reply back (e.g. start the chat on iPhone, but respond w/ iPad, or Messages on MBP.) If your contacts don't have all pieces of your info tied together (i.e. phone number, email address, secondary email address), then you may appear as two different people to them, thus breaking out a new chat window.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Seems like a really weird things to warrant an immediate update being sent out to everyone. I'd fix the bug in the update that's being worked on and just let the one customer who noticed it know that it's been fixed and the update will be out in a month, and that in the meantime they can use any of the dozens of standard ringtones.

I'd probably also give them a $5 iTunes credit to their account.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
This definitely sounds like a Scooby Doo episode:

Scooby Doo in the Mystery of the Missing Ringtone

And they would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for this meddlin' fix!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Damn, they just can't get iOS 8 right at all. Just imagine next year (software year) when iOS 9 comes out. :(

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Bug fixes and "minor update" does not compute with iOS 8...

How about a major update that fixes most of the issues, please.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Wow, my wife just complained yesterday about her ringtone disappearing and I could not figure out why. I guess I found the answer.

creediddy

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I hope this update fixes the rotation when watching videos as its quite choppy or the transition from portrait to landscape.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Still no fix for Health App? WTF are they doing? One of the premier new features of iOS 8 just doesn't work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.