Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After more than two months of availability, Apple's newest mobile operating system, iOS 8, is now installed on 63 percent of iOS, according to new numbers posted on Apple's App Store support page for developers.

iOS 8's installation numbers have increased approximately seven percent over the course of the last month, and installation numbers are up 11 percent since October 27. iOS 7 usage, meanwhile, has dropped from 43 percent in October to 33 percent as of December 8.

ios8installationnumbers.jpg
Apple's own iOS 8 adoption estimates are based on App Store usage and are mirrored closely by data from analytics service MixPanel, which puts iOS 8 adoption at 63.94 percent as of today.

mixpanelios8adoption.jpg
The number of users installing iOS 8 initially stagnated at 47 percent just three weeks after the software was first released to the public, but installation numbers have been climbing steadily since then due to a number of bug fixes and an email campaign from Apple encouraging users to upgrade.

iOS 8's low adoption rates were likely due to several major bugs the software faced in its early days and a lack of space on 16GB devices for installing the OS. Apple's recent email campaign attempted to alleviate the latter issue, informing users with little space on their devices that they could upgrade through iTunes.

iOS 8.1, iOS 8.1.1, and iOS 8.1.2, introduced today, all brought bug fixes for several major issues, repairing problems and improving the stability of iOS 8. Apple is also working on iOS 8.2, which is expected to bring additional bug fixes and has been seeded to developers for testing purposes.

Article Link: iOS 8 Now Installed on 63 Percent of Active iOS Devices

MacbookSwitcher

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2007
Still proudly on iOS 7, and iOS 6 on one of my iPads. iOS 6 is much faster than iOS 7.

I'll use iOS 8 when I buy the iPhone 6 Plus, but won't be installing it on any of my current devices.

Masada31

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2014
Still proudly on iOS 7, and iOS 6 on one of my iPads. iOS 6 is much faster than iOS 7.

I'll use iOS 8 when I buy the iPhone 6 Plus, but won't be installing it on any of my current devices.

Will stick with iOS 6 on my iPad till it breaks and then no more iPads for me.I can't stand iOS 7/8 on my iPad just boring and flat with blinding white and Hello kitty icons:)

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Anyone here among the 4%'ers?

Not for everyday use, but my iPhone 3G runs...iOS5? (I'm using it as an audio player & radio for my hi-fi system) The iPhone I use for everything else is an iPhone 4 with 7.1.2, will probably use it for a long time still as it works perfectly well.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
I never could understand this metric. Since all new iphones have come with ios8 preinstalled, and they're selling millions, the number is gonna climb since people have NO CHOICE but to use ios 8. Nor do those who upgraded to ios 8 from 7 have the CHOICE to downgrade if they decided they didnt like 8 (at least not without a huge complicated process).

The only real metric of ios 8's popularity would be people who chose to upgrade and were actually glad they did. So these numbers seem irrelevant to me.

bennyboy34

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
Australia
iOS 8.1.2 hasn't fixed any bugs for me, but that's because it failed to install halfway through and then forced me to restore my 2 month old iPhone 6 and lose everything on there. Loving these updates recently.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
I never could understand this metric. Since all new iphones have come with ios8 preinstalled, and they're selling millions, the number is gonna climb since people have NO CHOICE but to use ios 8. Nor do those who installed ios from 7 have the CHOICE to downgrade (at least not without a huge complicated process).

The only real metric of ios 8's popularity would be people who chose to upgrade and were actually glad they did. So these numbers seem irrelevant to me.

Yet the number of new phones is still compared to the massive number of old phones. This is a percentage, not a flat number of users without any real significance.

commodorepet

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2013
I never could understand this metric. Since all new iphones have come with ios8 preinstalled, and they're selling millions, the number is gonna climb since people have NO CHOICE but to use ios 8. Nor do those who upgraded to ios 8 from 7 have the CHOICE to downgrade if they decided they didnt like 8 (at least not without a huge complicated process).

Agreed. I'd like to see the following real numbers:
percentage of ios devices that could run ios8 that are running it.
percentage of ios devices that could run ios8 from all ios devices that have accessed the store in the last 3 months.
That would tell us if 8 adoption is approaching saturation, or simply matching the percentage of devices that could run ios 8 if they wanted.
Of course the apple number is going to increase as new preinstalled devices come online and older devices go offline, it doesn't show how many users are upgrading at all.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
iOS 8.1.2 hasn't fixed any bugs for me, but that's because it failed to install halfway through and then forced me to restore my 2 month old iPhone 6 and lose everything on there. Loving these updates recently.

I had no issues with the OTA upgrade. Did you install it through iTunes?

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Well, I have found that 8.1.1 runs pretty smoothly on my iPad Air. It's also runnng well for the families other devices which would be an iPhone 5, an iPad 2, and an iPad 4.

No big things to report.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
I think this is a skewed stat. If you aren't savvy enough to update your phone, there is also a good chance you aren't using the App store.

Also, if you have a phone running earlier than 6, there aren't many apps available to you on the app store, anyway. That means there is little incentive for those people to even attempt a purchase on the app store.

There isn't much of a take-away with this, as it's also fair to say that if they aren't downloading apps, then you don't need to be developing apps for them. I'm just pointing out that this is all based on app store participation.

Macdick

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
ios 5.1.1

so I am in 4% :D i didnt upgraded my iphone 4S since i got it :D and working like a charm!

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Will stick with iOS 6 on my iPad till it breaks and then no more iPads for me.I can't stand iOS 7/8 on my iPad just boring and flat with blinding white and Hello kitty icons:)

good luck with your new android 5 tablet. i mean really, good luck.

bennyboy34

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
Australia
I had no issues with the OTA upgrade. Did you install it through iTunes?

I attempted to and when it asked to install after downloading it would come up with "verifying update" popup and it would then pop up saying "error, unable to install". So I tried it on iTunes and the same thing happened except this time it was during the installing phase..literally it was halfway through installing. So I put it in recovery mode and thank christ it backed itself up before I tried to update!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.