Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
i have a 5s now. and i'm still not sure.

plus side for the plus (lol):
landscape mode for home screen, iPad like view for mail and texts

cons for me:
a little big, i might drop it trying to use it one handed while walking, or since i bike ride just taking it out to check something quick.
battery life? (i can get 2 days out of my 5s no problem)

normal 6 pros:
fits in pocket easier, can use easier one handed
$100 less

cons for me:
no landscape like the plus
optical image stabilization would be nice although i don't know how much i would use it really.

the screen is great on both. since they're obviously bigger than the 5s i've been using for over a year.

thanks.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
anyone think they might include the 6plus's landscape on the 6 in an update one day?

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I was in the same position, and made a bunch of trips to the Apple store to play with them. . . .

Not the easiest choice. I went with the Plus since I have never had a phablet before.

One question--do you use the phone more as a phone or as an iPad alternative? I really spend much more time on Safari than I ever do talking on the phone. So this is a minor plus for the Plus. Kind of an iPad Micro for me. Or a pocket iPad. . .

If you are careful, I don't think OIS makes that much of a difference in photos.

Pocket fit: Both are fine for me in any of my clothes.

One handed: On the 6 this is easy. (just like the 5S) On the Plus it's a challenge, and I can't type some letters/numbers. However, I can still open apps, read email, etc, with one hand.

So the 6 is a safer bet, but the Plus might be worth it for the "change of pace" aspect. I'm having fun with the Plus, but you do have to get used to the change.

PS: On a minor note, the landscape mode is kind of cool.

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
Hmmmm; I got the 6 plus so that I could forgo a iPad mini for a while. I agree with the OP that for many, myself included it is a bit big for one handed use.
If I could afford a mini I would have gone for the 6 and then had a dedicated tablet for casual browsing. Just another idea that is worth taking into consideration. Good luck with your decision.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I was in the same position, and made a bunch of trips to the Apple store to play with them. . . .

Not the easiest choice. I went with the Plus since I have never had a phablet before.

One question--do you use the phone more as a phone or as an iPad alternative? I really spend much more time on Safari than I ever do talking on the phone. So this is a minor plus for the Plus. Kind of an iPad Micro for me. Or a pocket iPad. . .

If you are careful, I don't think OIS makes that much of a difference in photos.

Pocket fit: Both are fine for me in any of my clothes.

One handed: On the 6 this is easy. (just like the 5S) On the Plus it's a challenge, and I can't type some letters/numbers. However, I can still open apps, read email, etc, with one hand.

So the 6 is a safer bet, but the Plus might be worth it for the "change of pace" aspect. I'm having fun with the Plus, but you do have to get used to the change.

PS: On a minor note, the landscape mode is kind of cool.

thanks for the input.

I don't own an iPad, i mostly use my iMac, if i'm out i actually almost really never use it to talk to anyone, only if i'm meeting someone and saying hey i'm here/close by. otherwise i just use it to read things on safari and text. thats why i liked the landscape feature. but sometimes i usually just pull out my phone and reply to an email/txt or check something real quick.

i just wish the 6 had landscape!

illippinno

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I'm coming from an iPhone 6 who is switching to a 6 Plus tomorrow (to be delivered).

I consider myself to have smaller to average sized hands, and while playing with the 6 Plus my friend has for a bit, I considered switching to it because of the bigger real estate plus the battery life. I think for me the battery life is key which I thought I could live with the 6 but really couldn't.

I also got used to using a Note 3 from my secondary line so I felt having a 6 Plus wouldn't be a big jump.

I initially went for the 6 because of the one-handed use, but honestly, I've noticed myself to always use my phone with two hands about 75% of the time. I always thought myself as a "one-handed" phone user until I actually started paying attention to how I use my phone and I found that I use my phone two handed more.

cons for me:
a little big, i might drop it trying to use it one handed while walking, or since i bike ride just taking it out to check something quick.

normal 6 pros:
$100 less

cons for me:
optical image stabilization would be nice although i don't know how much i would use it really.

the screen is great on both. since they're obviously bigger than the 5s i've been using for over a year.

thanks.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Added note: The plus screen is big enough that I find myself using it mostly in portrait mode rather than landscape, even with Safari. Typing is better too, as the landscape keyboard, is, for lack of a better word, "weird."

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Landscape mode is half-baked and will probably take until the 6S before it becomes worthwhile. No apps save for a few stock ones work in landscape mode, and the keyboard is lousy. The keys are smaller than they are in portrait.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Your just going to have to visit a store and see which is better for you. If one handed use is an important factor get the 6. For me the 6 is certainly noticeably more difficult to use one handed than the 5. The 6+ even more so. That was a deal breaker for me, certainly a bigger issue than pocket ability. I use my phone a ton one handed and I don't care for the half screen solution. My wife has a 6+ and loves it but she doesn't use it one handed much. It's certainly a person to person thing. Visit a store and see what feels better in your hands and try it in your pockets to see what works best for you.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Taking only your pros and cons into consideration, it sounds like the 6 is for you. I don't know too many people that care about landscape homescreen. Landscape mail is ok, but I still don't find myself using it.

I bike ride too and I never pull my phone out for anything while moving. If I had to pull it out while stopped it wouldnt be an issue, but I also wear fingerless gloves that are gripp on the palm, so there's that.

Screen size is what sold me on the plus. Software features didn't make a difference to me once using the phone, though I thought they would before I had it.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Make a cardboard cut out version of a 6 and a 6+ and give it a test drive around the house. Well, you can take it with you but people may look at you funny. If you are a perfectionist, you can add some weight to the models to make them more realistic, but the physical sizes alone can help you make up your mind about handling.

I took me about 15 minutes to decide that I didn't want to buy a 6+. Two reasons: one handed use, and I could't sit down with the thing in my pocket.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Make a cardboard cut out version of a 6 and a 6+ and give it a test drive around the house. Well, you can take it with you but people may look at you funny. If you are a perfectionist, you can add some weight to the models to make them more realistic, but the physical sizes alone can help you make up your mind about handling.

I took me about 15 minutes to decide that I didn't want to buy a 6+. Two reasons: one handed use, and I could't sit down with the thing in my pocket.

The 6+ sure is a heavy beast. Even if you can manage to fit it into a pocket, you certainly know it's there.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles

cons for me:

normal 6 pros:
$100 less

cons for me:

thanks.

Stay with 5S until Apple might start sell 4 inches iPhone 6 next spring. I cannot promise you. :apple:

Ashtar

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2014
My two cents:

I got a space grey 64 GB iPhone 6 on launch day. I loved it. All the things everyone has listed, plus I got a couple days out of the battery.

This past Saturday, I gave the iPhone 6 to my wife and I went and bought a silver 64GB iPhone Plus. I LOVE it! It only took a couple of days to get used to it, and now when I hold her 6 it feels like the 5 did went I went to the 6.

Plus, I get awesome battery life...I have gone three days before charging! I highly recommend the Plus...to me it is the 6 but better. Oh, and I have very small hands for a guy...no issues at all. I also use the phone without a case.

Hope this helps!

Jzo

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Landscape mode is half-baked and will probably take until the 6S before it becomes worthwhile. No apps save for a few stock ones work in landscape mode, and the keyboard is lousy. The keys are smaller than they are in portrait.

Agree.

Landscape mode on the 6 Plus is way overrated. At the very least, it needs to have EVERY stock app work in landscape mode. Phone does not. Music does not. Hell, even the lock screen doesn't. There may be more.

But I'd still tell you to get the 6 Plus. It's quite awesome.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN

and Safari tends to crash in landscape . . .

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I just think the plus is good for people who want to have a phone thats the centre of their life - what i mean with that is - people who dont mind their phone getting in the way, for the sake of the phone being what it is.
for me, i want my phone to become invisible, that caters to my lifestyle.

As such, one handed operation, size and speed are all important to me.

the 6 fits the above criteria better than the 6 plus

As for battery, last night I charged the phone until 7:20 am. and recharged back at 12:30am that night.

I had 11% left. And i used the phone - browsing, email, a bit of youtube at the end of the day and various social networking apps throughout the day.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It sounds like you are a light user (getting 2 days from the 5s), so I would go for the 6. You do not really need the battery benefits as a light user. I mostly suggest the 6+ for power users. People who use their phone as a tablet replacement.

I tried both side by side for a few days and ultimately stuck with the 6. The reason was the size. I have an ipad I use when I am at home, and when I am out I use the phone like a phone and occasionally look things up on the web/use apps.

I usually end the day with around 50% battery. If I did not have an ipad, I would get the 6+ though. I surf the web every night and maybe watch some videos here and there. When I get home, the phone sits in a central location since my ipad can answer phone calls and text from anyone.

spiderpumpkin

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2014
The 6 Plus is awesome and the screen is a perfect size. I used to carry my iPad around everywhere but never use my iPad anymore. After using an iPad for 3 years the 6 Plus actually seems small and more portable.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Another consideration is case. What kind of case do you normally use/want? If you normally prefer a minimum case, the iPhone 6 Plus may not be as bad as you think. If you normally use a rugged case because of outdoor activities, it will seem like you are carrying a brick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.