Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I absolutely couldn't find a white Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard at any stores yet for my Air 2 so I thought I'd give the version for the original Air a try. Well, I wasn't too happy with the steep angle that my iPad rested at. It looked like I just needed a spacer and it might work. I was right! I picked up some transparent spacers at Walmart this afternoon and it's now useable. It may not be the most elegant solution, but at least the transparency helps mask the non-stock look. But for those of you who upgraded from an Air who already owned one, it's worth giving a try.

I should note that I probably could have done a better job at cutting the dots to fit so they looked a little nicer. I just whipped out the scissors and did this in about 5 minutes. So at least you're seeing the quick and dirty method that is as bad as it's gonna look.

This shows the new angle. I doubled up the dots to get this angle. The dots are the best of both worlds. Nice and sticky so they are stable, but they leave no residue and can be removed.

No issues closing up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    690.2 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581.8 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    682.9 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:

jryu90

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2013
Washington, D.C. Metro Area
Nice that you were able to find a workaround modifcation that seems to have worked with the steep-angle issue.

I posted my findings on the issue when I was waiting for Logitech to release the Ultrathin for the iPad Air 2. They've been out at all my local Best Buy locations since Thanksgiving.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1805668/

Logitech released two Ultrathin models for the first-generation iPad Air. The earlier one that you have is definitely easier to modify. The second, more refined model they released (which the Ultrathin for iPad Air 2 is based on) won't work at all. The magnets have been realigned and won't offer a securely locked fit.

Have you checked online to see if your local Best Buy has them in stock?

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I actually was able to find some black keyboards for my Air 2 but I really wanted the white. Plus, this version is only like $50 now.

I was tempted to get the 2nd version for the iPad Air with the adjustable angle but I had read reviews that said the keyboard was not nearly as good as on the first version. Since I write alot, I went for the older style.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
The news only gets better. I just got my Boxwave Crystal Shell in the mail today. It turns out that without my spacers, the iPad with the case fit's into the keyboard perfectly. The Air 2 + case is about the perfect thickness to fit into the slot.

So if you ever wish you could just plop your iPad with the case into a keyboard, this is the combo for you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    822.8 KB · Views: 101

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
The news only gets better. I just got my Boxwave Crystal Shell in the mail today. It turns out that without my spacers, the iPad with the case fit's into the keyboard perfectly. The Air 2 + case is about the perfect thickness to fit into the slot.

So if you ever wish you could just plop your iPad with the case into a keyboard, this is the combo for you.

That's interesting. I've been thinking about getting the Logitech Ultrathin too. I've got the BoxWave clear shell on the back of my iPad Air 2 and was going to get the iPad Air 2 version of this. Now I'm thinking with the BoxWave shell on it might not work and I might be better off getting the iPad Air version instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.