Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Currently, all my photos are stored in iPhoto, and synced to my iOS devices through iTunes. I've scanned photo albums and manually added faces and places to the pictures through iPhoto.

I've just expanded my iCloud storage and am considering the iCloud photo library as an option to have all of my photos seamlessly sync with all my devices. My concern is: will the face and place metadata be attached to the images loaded to the iCloud photo library? Is there a way to sort through these pictures by faces? Is there a way to add faces to new pictures?

The rumor is that this new photos app will replace iPhoto, but I'm concerned that it will be lacking these features.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
I think it's best to wait to see what the Mac's Photo app will look like before proceeding. Hate for you to lose that data prematurely. Nobody knows what the photos app will look like or what functionality it will have.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I think it's best to wait to see what the Mac's Photo app will look like before proceeding. Hate for you to lose that data prematurely. Nobody knows what the photos app will look like or what functionality it will have.

So as of current, the photos uploaded to the icloud library will lose that metadata?

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
So as of current, the photos uploaded to the icloud library will lose that metadata?

I don't know. It's beta. To be safe and I so I don't steer you wrong, I'd err on the side of assuming it could strip metadata...also note that Apple is subject to clear out all photos during the beta program. Again, best to wait.

irishv

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
I don't know. It's beta. To be safe and I so I don't steer you wrong, I'd err on the side of assuming it could strip metadata...also note that Apple is subject to clear out all photos during the beta program. Again, best to wait.

This is the best advice you'll get on the subject. None of the demos or promotional images from Apple have shown any metadata capabilities in Photos. I'd put money on Apple following the same path they took with iWork and FCP where they release a simplified version of the app (basically the iOS 8 iPad Photos app) and re-add features over time.

Considering the metadata features are the primary reason I use Aperture, I'll likely be moving to Lightroom in the near future. At the same time, it's worth waiting to see what actually gets released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.