Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charpi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Weekly Photo Contest: December 11 to December 18 - Minimalist

Welcome to this week's photo contest thread!

Theme: Minimalist

Tell a story with as little clutter in the frame as possible. It can be abstract with just shapes and lines, play between light and shadows or even a single element in the frame by itself. The difficult part here is to decide on what can be omitted to make the impact of the picture bigger, but does not make it lose it's original story!

Rules:

1. Be creative and have fun.

2. Please submit only one photo per contest.

3. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

4. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

5. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner - me) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

6. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

To see all of our past contests please see the sticky thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/580184/

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Espresso

Coffee Break.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1418321050882.jpg
    FB_IMG_1418321050882.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
What beach?
(iPhone 5C build-in camera app panorama mode on a foggy day at the beach.)

Attachments

• 10669341_10100392641485508_6089414065582417552_o.jpg
    10669341_10100392641485508_6089414065582417552_o.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 147

charpi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Really good entries this week! It was very hard to pick the top 3.

@kenoh: I really like the composition here. It really does relay the message of "taking a break". Like the lighting too!

@GnarleyMarley: I think you nailed the color. The sky was not blown, and the roof of the market retained it's vibrant colors. Only thing is I think you were going for the symmetrical look, but the sun on the right side of the picture made it less so.

@Anonymous Freak: The beach looks so empty, yet, on closer inspection, it is full of people, just shrouded by the fog. Love that effect. I would suggest experimenting around with the cropping a little but I think it is very good as it is.

@JDDavis: Is this infrared? Looks like it haha. Great shot and I loved the lighting. How did you manage to light up an entire tree with flashes? (I assume flashes because of the black background). Would like to learn the technique from you!

@needfx: I like the composition very very much. On first glance it seemed just like a normal office mouse. Only when I looked at it again did I notice that the cord was severed. Looking at this picture, I thought back to all my electronics which served me well but ultimately, broke in the end (headphones, mice, keyboard etc). Great picture that invokes emotion.

@Ish: I like the play of light and shadows in this shot. I think that making it black and white is a great idea. A suggestion would be maybe to take this shot from a slightly different angle, so that the tree at the extreme left of the photo is not so distracting?

@Goftrey: I love landscape pictures. Living in a city, it's hard to see such beautiful scenes. I really liked the way the picture is layered. Ground -> Trees/foliage -> Sun -> Clouds -> Sky. A great shot.

@imac_wannabe: Great composition. Is this an air show? Makes me wonder where the plane is heading to and why, and also the feelings of the people inside the plane at such a great height. Technology is wonderful.

@the-oz-man: I used to play with these type of toys when I was small. Brings back memories. Great lighting and DOF control. I also liked the slightly angled point of view which gives it better depth.

@MacRy: Would really love to know how did you get this shot? Did you plan in advance and wait for the exact moment? For me, this is a textbook example of photography going beyond the photograph and technicals. When people nowadays just talk about camera specs, this shows that planning, thinking about composition are just as, or more important.

@Hughmac: I like the various angles I can see the fork from, giving it a more 3D feel. To me, this highlights showing the different perspectives of an object can show different meanings.

@Meister: Who doesn't love a mac. I like the change in interpretation of a mac. Normally, people photograph Macbooks on wooden tables in a bright, sunny environment. This changes that perspective and lets us think of macbooks as our workhorses through the night too!

@thebro20: Droplets! I've always wanted to try these. Great shot and I loved the multi-layered ripples. Would suggest maybe try it with color, and with different water colors. Eg. Red droplet on blue water body. Might produce something nice!

@Miltz: Loved the tree. How did you get that purple background? It really brings the shape of the tree, with it's bare branches out. Looks very surreal. Great job.

@HalfOnWhole: An emotion invoking photo. Shows the importance of relaxing with friends in the modern, fast-paced lives of ours. Would suggest maybe a wider view seeing more of the vast city of Santa Barbara below.

@Destroysall: Time. The black and white concept works really well here! I like the way you showed that even the clock that tells time is not immune to the changes caused by time. Teaches us to value our time more.

@kingalexthe1st: What a picture. Shows the emotions of the couple really, really well! Black and white effect works well here.

@FrakkinShip: Apples! Colors work very well here. The rich red apple against the blue plate. Loved the swirling pattern of the plate here too.

@fireman32: Wow a theme park. I think you captured the fun and vibrance of the ride perfectly here. I'm not sure but just a suggestion - have you tried maybe a tighter crop?

Winners:
3rd: HalfOnWhole
2nd: MacRy
1st: needfx

Great entries this time everyone. It was hard to pick even the top 3! Wish I could pick the top 10 instead haha :)

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Thanks for all the comments charpi. Well done the winners and everyone!

Thanks for the comments on my photo and taken on board. It's good to get a fresh perspective. Is it me—I don't see your comments on AlexH's picture, the first one. I'm sure he'd like them if you've time to put them up. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.