Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
I got my 6 Plus yesterday, and I thought the battery was supposed to last close to 10 hours. All I've been doing is downloading apps, browsing safari, using Spotify and texting. Does this look right?

iCMJykv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Downloading apps can certainly be battery intensive. Since you got it yesterday I imagine you redownloaded everything you had. That can easily chew through your battery. Remember it needs to install those apps which is cpu intensive. And of course you likely have you screen on that whole time due to the phone being new and all.

Daveyote

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
This is what I normally get, several users have reported much better, closer to 11 hours.
B4jfBHmCQAAtXZr.png

It depends on a lot. Like how your LTE is in your area. LTE constantly changing signal strength can really mess with your battery. When Apple said "an average of 12 hours use time" they were more than likely assuming people were connecting to wifi or had full LTE in their area when they got those numbers.

It's still not bad, I have 3 days off a week and during that time I never have to charge my phone. With my 5S even if I didn't use it often during the day I still had to plug it in every night.

Last edited by a moderator:

thalazy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
In a van down by the river.
As I understand it

I hear (I could be wrong) that battery should improve after a few cycles. I currently have 62% usage: 4hrs 46min Standby 12 hrs. 18 min. Brightness less than half. I drained my battery down to 0 and charged it up and that is what I got.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
'Usage' all varies. For instance iCloud backups and listening to music both involve 'usage' but the screen is off, so usage is minimal. Certain tasks are battery intensive, whilst others aren't so much.
The iPhone 6 doesn't have as big a battery as the 6+, and with certain intensive usage patterns the 6+ will return around 10 hours of usage time. So for me, anything over 9 hours is very good for the iPhone 6.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
But it does show all the apps that are used, on the case above seems like the most heavy used one is Messages.

Right, but you did not get 22 hours of actual usage or screen on time. The usage stat is a strange thing.

byrdjr222

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2010
The first few charging cycles with mine provided pretty weak battery life, a lot worse than I was expecting. Give it about 5-7 days (letting it die a couple times in there) and you will notice a great upswing in the amount of usage time that you are getting.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Downloading over 4G usually drains my battery quicker, but I'd say a day on standby with close to 10 hours usage is good enough.

Brdl04

Suspended
Jan 22, 2011
the D
See that little arrow next to the 23% ?? That is your culprit.

turn off location services to apps that you aren't using.

Daveyote

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
You should close close Skype. Skype is a huge battery drainer like Facebook.
Have you enabled background app refresh?

I have it disabled, as soon as I got my 6 Plus I did everything suggested to prolong battery life. I mainly use Skype lately to keep in touch with commissioners and go over work with them. I don't feel comfortable giving out my phone number for that.

I'm not upset with my battery life, I'll go over things again to see if I can extend it, but right now? It's been so much better than my 5S.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Yes that's normal usage especially with LTE. People with 12hrs don't use their phone, or are on wifi the whole time. 7-9hr usage is about the average. Location services are definitely a huge drain too. If you want to go 12+, stay on wifi, do messages, browse safari as much as you want, nothing else, and you should get there easy. You can also "condition" your battery once by going to 0 then back to 100% without interruption. Helps a bit as well.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
My phone died at 11 hours and 23 minutes of usage yesterday. I consistently get 10-11 hours of usage.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It's the first day. You have to give it a few days before you start getting the normal battery life. My iPhone 6 died in about 5 hours the first day that I had it.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
You can also "condition" your battery once by going to 0 then back to 100% without interruption. Helps a bit as well.

That is not "conditioning." It does nothing to the battery except tack on another battery cycle. Instead, doing this resets / recalibrates the battery status indicator.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I got my 6 Plus yesterday, and I thought the battery was supposed to last close to 10 hours. All I've been doing is downloading apps, browsing safari, using Spotify and texting. Does this look right?

If you just got your phone yesterday it may take some time for it to get settled, so to speak. I think there may be some extra stuff going on under the hood for the first little bit when the device is new. I don't think you can accurately judge the battery life based on the first day or two.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Depends on what you're doing with it. Different apps and different settings result in different power usage profiles.

Personally I get around 9 hours on average. If I really push the thing I can run it out in 6. If I do a lot of audio with the screen off I can make it do 14.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
That is not "conditioning." It does nothing to the battery except tack on another battery cycle. Instead, doing this resets / recalibrates the battery status indicator.

Yeah I didn't know how to call it so I put quotes. But whatever it is, it works.

My battery was draining much quicker (I timed it), after some heavy gaming weekend (world of tanks), and charging sporadically through USB. Which was actually using more battery than it's charging. Somehow that messed up something. Battery was going down quick. Network reset didn't do anything, no settings were changed. After this "recalibration" it's back to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.