Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Overmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2014
Hello,

I've recently ran into an annoying problem, and I was hoping somebody here could help me out.

I'm on a rather old Mac Pro (1.1 flashed to 2.1). I replaced my 4870 with an Nvidia 560ti. It works well in OSx but I also want to be able to use it in BootCamp, however the mac will not boot into Windows without an EFI-card inserted (I'm using my old 7300 in PCIe 1). It's strange, as it seems that the boot-selector is working, I press right and enter on the keyboard (to boot into Win), the machine is working but windows never shows up. With the 7300 inserted it boots into Win just fine and I've disabled the card in Device manager.

On the OsX-side of things is where the real problem is. OsX refuses to use the 560ti for the first monitor (I have a dual-monitor setup), and what I am greeted with is screen 2 & 3. Not 1 & 2. So I have to unplug one cable from the 560ti and plug it into the 7300, go into preferences, move the top menu-bar from screen 1 to 3, re-plug the cable into the 560ti and move the bar to what I can only assume is screen 2 at this point. These settings are never saved so as soon as I reboot I have to do it over again.

Is there a way to disable the 7300 permanently once Im in the OS or to force the OS to only use the 560ti? I guess any fix that does not involve all this unplugging and plugging would be good.

Thank you for reading my lengthy post. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.