Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Iowa Department of Transportation will begin allowing customers the option of receiving their newly issued driver's licenses via a mobile app on their smartphones, reports The Des Moines Register.

The app, set to launch next year, will be available to customers at no additional cost and will include all of the necessary information a traditional plastic license includes.

iowa_iphone_drivers_license.jpg
During a state agency budget hearing this past Monday, DOT Director Paul Trombino reassured Iowa Governor Terry Branstad about the upcoming launch of the pioneering digital ID system.
"We are really moving forward on this," Trombino said. "The way things are going, we may be the first in the nation."
Trombino assured that those wanting to stick with a traditional plastic ID will have the option to do so, but that the new digital license will be widely supported throughout the state, including "Iowa law enforcement officers during traffic stops and by security officers screening travelers at Iowa's airports." The new smartphone app was called "an Identity Vault app" and is promised to be highly secure, with customers using a PIN number for verification.

More than thirty states, including Iowa, already accept digital copies of proof of insurance during traffic stops, so a driver's license as a smartphone app is the next logical step.

Article Link: Smartphone-Compatible Digital Driver's Licenses Launching in Iowa in 2015

SteveLV702

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Anyway hope Nevada launches this soon too and maybe Military offer a Digital Military ID then I can just get rid of my wallet.

Soon all we're going to be carrying are our smartphone's. I like the idea, but I don't know if I would take advantage of it right away. Plus, who knows when PA will offer it.

pushingrobot

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014
...yeah

So now you're unlocking your phone and giving it to an officer so rules on searches and seizures don't apply. Sign me up!

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
So now you're unlocking your phone and giving it to an officer so rules on searches and seizures don't apply. Sign me up!

Agreed. I would use this app anywhere that would take it (restaurants, bars, retailers) when they ask for ID rather than carry a wallet.
But I will never EVER use it for a traffic stop. I will keep my physical license in a pouch in the vehicle for that.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
Maybe they can include Apple Pay support so you can pay for fines right away too :p

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009

Was just going to write that. No way in hell I'm unlocking my phone and handing it to the officer and waiting 20 mins while he keeps it in his car, like they do with licenses right now. While they "run the information".

Why are people just throwing their freedoms and privacy away?

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
In that scenario, what would you do if someone stole your phone? That could really screw up your day, week, or however long it took you to sort your issue.

Same as if someone stole your wallet, but I'm just a big proponent of not having all my eggs in one basket.

I think it will use the secure element like Apple Pay or something like that, probably you will need your fingerprint to access it.

I think you're safer if someone steals your iPhone than if someone steals your wallet.

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc
This is only ok if the rest of your phone is somehow locked when you hand the officer your "license". Otherwise you give up your right to privacy. I predict issues with cops taking liberties by poking around in your phone.

SteveLV702

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
I think it will use the secure element like Apple Pay or something like that, probably you will need your fingerprint to access it.

I think you're safer if someone steals your iPhone than if someone steals your wallet.

just like in the Petition above if you lose your wallet now someone has your drivers license they can remove your picture put their picture in and now they you plus have all your personal details... Before they had your Credit Card to which some people still do but now can put your Credit Cards on your phone which are encrypted and protected with Fingerprint, PIN, Password which is more security then your wallet has... So I would really love this in every state but again only for those who want it still offer a Plastic unsafe card for the time being.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
thats why should be that like on iPhone it appears on lock screen/passbook and not require you to fully unlock phone....

Passbook is a good idea. I do like that

Aye - though the way that works requires location based geofencing to push the appropriate pass to your lock screen. Not sure how that would work with a driver's license.

I'm sure they could figure it out.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Was just going to write that. No way in hell I'm unlocking my phone and handing it to the officer and waiting 20 mins while he keeps it in his car, like they do with licenses right now. While they "run the information".

Why are people just throwing their freedoms and privacy away?

Yes, that could be an issue, but I'm thinking they could implement some kind of lock that only shows your license no matter what you press, and only unlock it with your fingerprint.

Also, I don't think this will replace your license , but more like if you go out for a run or only with your phone, you can have Apple Pay and now your ID.

Pretty cool.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Issue would be when the cop asked for your Licence and your battery is dead.

I would imagine this has already been thought about and cops will just have chargers on hand in their cruisers. It's not a bad idea to have cops have chargers on hand anyways.

Anyways, I'm surprised that this is only happening now. I thought some states had started allowing this a year or two ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.