Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While customers are looking forward to the launch of the Apple Watch early next year, there have been several other Apple-branded watches over the years typically offered as promotional items, and one of those items from nearly 20 years ago is making a comeback.

A limited number of these Apple watches from 1995 were kept by a distributor and have now been made available for sale, priced from $99-$129 depending on condition, and all watches come with a new battery. While they lack any advanced features, the watches with their quirky design may be of interest to some collectors.

apple_watch_1995.jpg
The 1995 Apple-branded watch was originally offered as a promotional item to encourage users to upgrade their Macs to System 7.5. In an offer running from May through July of 1995, users purchasing System 7.5 could receive an Apple watch or a copy of third-party extensions and control panel manager Conflict Catcher 3 as a free gift. System 7.5 had debuted in September 1994 and with bug fixes served as the Mac operating system until the release of Mac OS 7.6 in early 1997.

apple_watch_system_7_5.jpg
Two decades later, the watches are back with limited launch-week pricing through the weekend starting at $99 for units with minor blemishes and ranging up to $129 for those considered "flawless". The launch-week promo includes free shipping in the U.S. with delivery by Christmas, and discounted shipping internationally.

Update: Stock of the "flawless" units appears to be quickly running low, with pricing now at $199.

Update 2: The watches are now completely sold out, although a "single digit" number may become available once stock is reassessed following the initial flurry of orders.

Article Link: Classic Apple Watches From 1995 Once Again Available for Sale

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Must have been way before Jony Ives showed up!
How the heck do you tell time with that?
A golden sperm, an XMas Tree and a Tongue Depressor?

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Must have been way before Jony Ives showed up!
How the heck do you tell time with that?
A golden sperm, an XMas Tree and a Tongue Depressor?

haha it's weird because while it has the iOS color scheme all over it, it also looks like a usability/readability nightmare.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Wow, I had to dig up an old 2CAN watch I have, to compare, the watch face is identical, except the rim is violet anodized aluminum instead of blue, with a metal mesh band, and no Apple logo. Weird to see this was once branded with :apple:.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Terminator, Jurassic Park, Star Wars and now original Apple watches.

What year is this?

AppleTools

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Just Got One...

It took me a few tries but I finally got to checkout. I can tell that as of right now I could still buy a "flawless" one so there must be some left there yet.

I think even when it is a funky design, it represents the view of the 90's on Mac OS 7 and 8 with all the eye candy icons and color. We must remember Mac OS was in black and white and only the Apple //gs had some sort of color OS at the time with the gs/OS. Then just after gs/OS came the Color Classic, with one of the best screens Apple ever used. I still have two of them and they still look perfect, it is a joy to look at those screens specially when you compare them to the previous grayscale Macs.

So getting back to the watch, I think that getting an original item brand new in flawless condition for this price is a bargain for anyone that likes the brand and collect some memorabilia. Usually people who sell these items ask ridiculous prices so it is a nice opportunity to get one.

I can always tell my friends, this was the iWatch 20 years ago! ;-)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Or, Conflict Catcher.

Ha, those where NOT the times.
Still remember this app, solved a few issues for me.
But, I learned you could do this by yourself if you could start up from another disk, you could disable/enable extensions yourself to find the problem.
But, it would take a lot less time if you used Conflict Catcher.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Forget the watch; I'll take System Software 7.5! Nothing could have beat that UI back then. X with Afterstep or WindowMaker came close, but 7.5 was it.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.