Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flimzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
So i was on sythe.org a site for buying virtual goods on runescape. I created a topic saying i wanted to buy something. One person private messaged me asking for my Skype and another messaged me in the topic asking for my Skype. I gave both those people my Skype. But THREE people added me. The first two said they had no idea who the third guy was except one of the guys knew him from the site and said he was on sythe.org. How did he get my Skype? Did he hack it? will he hack my computer? I'm worried about how this random guy got my Skype.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So i was on sythe.org a site for buying virtual goods on runescape. I created a topic saying i wanted to buy something. One person private messaged me asking for my Skype and another messaged me in the topic asking for my Skype. I gave both those people my Skype. But THREE people added me. The first two said they had no idea who the third guy was except one of the guys knew him from the site and said he was on sythe.org. How did he get my Skype? Did he hack it? will he hack my computer? I'm worried about how this random guy got my Skype.
No, they didn't hack your computer. It is extremely rare for an average Mac user to have their computer hacked, unless they gave someone direct access to it. In over 6 years of reading "My Mac was hacked!" claims in this forum and elsewhere, not a single one ever was.

It's possible they may have hacked one of the other two's sythe.org accounts, so was able to see the private message. There are many ways your information can be compromised, none of which requires access to your computer. Email and other online accounts are frequently hacked... usually because of too-easily-guessed passwords... and these things can happen even if the victim doesn't even own a computer.

Make sure all your passwords are long and complex and be careful who you give your Skype information to.

BluAffiliate

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Yes you got hacked.. it happened to me and they deleted my whole ram. i would go to apple store asap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.