Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mainstay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
BC
My iPhone 4S is 3 years old and doesn't have a scratch on it (always in the shirt pocket, never in a pocket with keys, spare change, etc.).

My new iPhone 6 has an AWFUL screen protector on it from Telus. Small dots in the protector. I took it back, they replaced it 2 more times, with each new screen looking worse and worse.

I now have a protector with scratches all over it and 3 big "dust" spots. They aren't dust, I think they are just really cheap $10 protectors.

So I'm wondering, how scratchable are these phones?

If I remove the protector, regain my beautiful hi-res screen and take care of it, will I regret it?

And ultimately, I guess I could always just replace the screen a year or two down the road for relatively low cost.

It's like I am looking at a terrible, inferior product, 365 days a year, with the intent to keep my real screen pristine... it doesn't make sense!

Any thoughts?

All appreciated.

--M

joaodrp

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2010
Just use your phone. Screen protectors are not ready yet for this new curved screens. Just make caution to dont let the phone lay on something with the screen facing down.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Just use your phone. Screen protectors are not ready yet for this new curved screens. Just make caution to dont let the phone lay on something with the screen facing down.

This, no screen protector on my 6, I have a Griffin Reveal that allows me to put the phone face down while preventing the screen from contacting any surface.

mainstay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
BC
I'll keep the otter box, which gives a ridge preventing the screen from contacting surfaces should it be put face down... and just rip off the screen protector.

Quite annoyed... 3 x $10 protectors to end up with one that is scratched and dinged and has small indentation marks (from the manufacturer, not from me).

Thanks for the input!

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi

I use a tempered glass screen shield on my iPhone 6+

Cost £3 GBP around $5 from eBay.

The screens do seem to show surface marks but I think it's the oleophobic coating.

bluedukies8

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2009
Iowa
I have the 6+ and am currently using a BSE (Best Skins Ever). It covers the screen from edge to edge very well. I can even use it with the Apple leather case.

I have been using their screen protectors for years. Great customer service and great quality for the price. Think my full body cost $10-$15

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.