Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

momof2gals

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
My husband just upgraded from an iphone 4 to a 6 (which he loves), and we are trying to set up the 4 for our 12 year old daughter. This will be it's 3rd owner, but it's still going strong!

He had "find my friends" before we restored the phone to get it ready to give to our girl, now I'm figuring out the the 4 can't update to ios 8. No big deal, but one of the big reasons to give her this phone is so we can keep track of her (I have an iphone 5).

We used find my friends with no problem between the 4 and 5 for the past 2 years, is there any work around? Why can't I put the old version on the 4? Am I totally missing something?

Trying to figure out the family sharing also, I did set up the 4 with a new family share apple id for my girl, but I am at a loss on the location deal...help!!

Many thanks in advance...

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
iOS 8 requires iPhone 4s

if you install iOS 7 on the iPhone 4. and you login to your itunes or iCloud account, whichever one you used to buy "find my friends", won't it install the old version?? i think that is how it works. but you are locked out of the software updates.

try logging on to your itunes account

on the phone
go to app store
go to updates
go to purchases
go to not on this iPhone
do you see "find my friends" there? with a download link??

i think thats the only way i know of to install the old version

it will always be in "updates" as a an update you can never run , because you are not on iOS 8.

if that doesn't work, then i think you need to trade in on a 4s

maybe try making her an itunes account and then enabling family sharing... dammit.. family sharing won't work cause she isn't on iOS 8

she can't purchase it because she doesn't meet the requirements, but you can still download your old version on your itunes account.

i think thats how it works.

they changed find my iPhone in iOS 8 because i think a little piece of find my friends is built into iOS 8
when i was testing with iOS 8 beta, i swear i saw find my friends in the settings app , where it was never there before.

yeah
settings
location services
share my location

yeah there is the little piece of find my friends that was never in iOS before

----------

she can use YOUR itunes account to make purchases and download old versions of apps on iOS 7
that you already bought

she can make her OWN iCloud account for email. and messages and contacts.

try that as a work around and see if she can download the old version of find my friends from the app store

if that works, then have her sign up as a separate iCloud account and not to use the iCloud account to make purchases

----------

if you are using an iCloud account to make purchases and do not have a separate iTunes account then i think your stuck with having to upgrade to a 4s to run iOS 8

its a good idea to share itunes accounts as long as the person is trust worthy.
but you should never share an iCloud account

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.