Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

didgmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2014
Seoul
Hello Guys,

On iPhone, we can control any app for using cellular data or not.

For example, I disabled cellular data usage for App Store to avoid automatically update using my data plan, so it will only work under WiFi.

But there is no such option on a WiFi-Only iPad. When I let the iPad tethered to iPhone, it will use iPhone's cellular data as WiFi.

Can anyone help me out with this issue?

Thank you so much.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
There may be options if you jailbreak, otherwise it's in the hands of Apple and app developers. For some strange reason an iDevice can tell if it's using another iDevice's hotspot, and is therefore indirectly using cellular data, and yet it treats the connection as if it is WiFi.

didgmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2014
Seoul
There may be options if you jailbreak, otherwise it's in the hands of Apple and app developers. For some strange reason an iDevice can tell if it's using another iDevice's hotspot, and is therefore indirectly using cellular data, and yet it treats the connection as if it is WiFi.

Thanks for the reply.
It seems the only option is to wait Apple to give us this "feature"(which should already exist, LoL).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.