Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

popaine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Malta
Hi,

I've just bought a Macbook pro and I'm trying to connect it with my old Imac 2009. I've purchased a thunderbolt cable and connected one side via thunderbolt port on the MBP and the other side in the mini display port of the Imac.

Unfortunately when I press CMD+F2 on the imac to use it only as a display screen, nothing happens. Please can you help me sort this issue.

Thanks.

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Hi,

I've just bought a Macbook pro and I'm trying to connect it with my old Imac 2009. I've purchased a thunderbolt cable and connected one side via thunderbolt port on the MBP and the other side in the mini display port of the Imac.

Unfortunately when I press CMD+F2 on the imac to use it only as a display screen, nothing happens. Please can you help me sort this issue.

Thanks.

If you are trying to target the old iMac so you can get data off it you are unfortunately out of luck. That iMac only has a display port which is not the same as Thunderbolt. You'll have to use ethernet if you want to do a file & transfer. Or you can put your files on an external hd and transfer them that way.

popaine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Malta
Hi,

What i need is to use the imac as an external (bigger) display of my macbook pro. In a few words, instead of buying an external 27 inch monitor and connect it with my mbp I want to use my imac.

popaine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Malta
both Imac and mbp have the same os 10.9.5 but when i press cmd+f2 nothing happens. I think the best thing is to buy a new monitor (4K) and connect it via HDMI and having a 4k output.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.