Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Hi I just bought a new MacBook Pro two days ago. It is the 15" Retina 2.8 ghz I7. It has 1 tb solid state drive. I transferred my data from my old MacBook Pro and I decided to get boot camp. I bought windows 7 64 bit and I tried to do the boot camp but it was giving me a error for not being able to partition disk...

I even went to disk utility and even tried partitioning but it gave me this error
e6d1036a8c14b2f2b602a87ba64effc2.jpg

I am running the latest OS ... I tried Restarting and everything but still giving me the same error.

I don't have time to bring it into Apple (work and finals).

What else can I try ?

Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Open Terminal app from /Applications/Utilities and run the command below then post the output up here. Then I can explain what to do.

You either have a drive that Yosemite converted to core storage or you have FileVault encryption turned on. Once I know which, I can explain how to get around it. You can't change partition sizes with either of those on.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Open Terminal app from /Applications/Utilities and run the command below then post the output up here. Then I can explain what to do.

You either have a drive that Yosemite converted to core storage or you have FileVault encryption turned on. Once I know which, I can explain how to get around it. You can't change partition sizes with either of those on.

Thank you for the quick response! I am now stuck on "firevault" paused. Theres no way for me to get off it. Its telling me to plug in power source and I did. I googled it and it is apparently a wide spread bug and theres no way of getting passed it except reinstalling.... GRRRRRRRRRRRR I should return this macbook pro!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thank you for the quick response! I am now stuck on "firevault" paused. Theres no way for me to get off it. Its telling me to plug in power source and I did. I googled it and it is apparently a wide spread bug and theres no way of getting passed it except reinstalling.... GRRRRRRRRRRRR I should return this macbook pro!

Yeah, with FileVault on you cannot resize partitions. It sounds like you maybe did not let FileVault encryption finish before you tried working with the partitions.

Run this command in Terminal and post up the output so I can take a look.

Code:
diskutil cs list

There will be a section that looks like this that shows how far along it is.

Code:
Encryption Status:           Unlocked
    Encryption Type:         AES-XTS
    Conversion Status:       Converting
    Conversion Direction:    forward
    Has Encrypted Extents:   Yes
    Fully Secure:            No
    Passphrase Required:     Yes
 Disk:                       disk6
    Size (Total):            569869340672 B (569.9 GB)
    Size (Converted):        231454277632 B (231.5 GB)
    Revertible:              Yes (unlock and decryption required)
    LV Name:                 Heap
    Volume Name:             Heap
    Content Hint:            Apple_HFS

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Yeah, with FileVault on you cannot resize partitions. It sounds like you maybe did not let FileVault encryption finish before you tried working with the partitions.

Run this command in Terminal and post up the output so I can take a look.

Code:
diskutil cs list

There will be a section that looks like this that shows how far along it is.

Code:
Encryption Status:           Unlocked

Encryption Type:         AES-XTS

Conversion Status:       Converting

Conversion Direction:    forward

Has Encrypted Extents:   Yes

Fully Secure:            No

Passphrase Required:     Yes

Disk:                       disk6

Size (Total):            569869340672 B (569.9 GB)

Size (Converted):        231454277632 B (231.5 GB)

Revertible:              Yes (unlock and decryption required)

LV Name:                 Heap

Volume Name:             Heap

Content Hint:            Apple_HFS

3450f6bc1a79c527f47d60d3ee71482f.jpg

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

No luck. I was hoping it would say "revertible yes" down there and I could give you a command to reverse it but no.

Do you have data on there you need to get off? We need to save your data somewhere then erase the whole disk and start over.

Also, did you go to the App Store since you got the new machine and "claim" your free iLife and iWorks apps so we can reinstall them free after we wipe the drive.

Here is the process. Hold command-option-r (all three keys at once) when booting. That will ask for your wifi password then you will see a globe while the recovery utility downloads.

Once that is done you will se a screen like this.

Xm7rMyl.png

Now go to the Utilities menu and launch Terminal. From there enter the command below exactly like I have it including the quotes.

Code:
diskutil cs delete "Macintosh HD"

Then quit Terminal and launch Disk Utility and go to the erase tab. Select the drive itself at the top of the left column then select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the dropdown and apply that format.

Then quit Disk Utility and click resonate OS X. The ~6GB OS will DL and install. Once that is done and you have setup your account again go to the App Store and redownload the iWorks and iLife apps.

That will get you back to out of the box condition.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
No luck. I was hoping it would say "revertible yes" down there and I could give you a command to reverse it but no.

Do you have data on there you need to get off? We need to save your data somewhere then erase the whole disk and start over.

Also, did you go to the App Store since you got the new machine and "claim" your free iLife and iWorks apps so we can reinstall them free after we wipe the drive.

Here is the process. Hold command-option-r (all three keys at once) when booting. That will ask for your wifi password then you will see a globe while the recovery utility downloads.

Once that is done you will se a screen like this.

Xm7rMyl.png

Now go to the Utilities menu and launch Terminal. From there enter the command below exactly like I have it including the quotes.

Code:
diskutil cs delete "Macintosh HD"

Then quit Terminal and launch Disk Utility and go to the erase tab. Select the drive itself at the top of the left column then select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the dropdown and apply that format.

Then quit Disk Utility and click resonate OS X. The ~6GB OS will DL and install. Once that is done and you have setup your account again go to the App Store and redownload the iWorks and iLife apps.

That will get you back to out of the box condition.

I did all the steps then got a error after deleting now my MacBook Pro won't do anything. I hit reinstall OS X and my laptops hard drive doesn't come up. my laptop is bricked..... oh my god!!!!
91f97bd85f4086bc4c39961954cf8c6e.jpg

paid $3,500 for a laptop that is buggy and doesn't even work...

----------

Great thing that it decides to do this during finals week!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I did all the steps then got a error after deleting now my MacBook Pro won't do anything. I hit reinstall OS X and my laptops hard drive doesn't come up. my laptop is bricked..... oh my god!!!! Image

paid $3,500 for a laptop that is buggy and doesn't even work...

----------

Great thing that it decides to do this during finals week!

You can't just hit reinstall OS X straight away.

You must first go to Disk Utility, select the drive (not the partition), and erase it.

Then only you are allowed to install OS X on it.

It's not buggy, it's just that some steps are a bit fiddly for new users, who may not know how to proceed.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
You can't just hit reinstall OS X straight away.

You must first go to Disk Utility, select the drive (not the partition), and erase it.

Then only you are allowed to install OS X on it.

It's not buggy, it's just that some steps are a bit fiddly for new users, who may not know how to proceed.

I didn't hit reinstall right away I did go to the Macintosh HD and did erase. then I went to reinstall.... I called apple care and I had to do some terminal codes to get around it because my hard drive was corrupted....

Thanks anyways!

duns scotus

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2002
I didn't hit reinstall right away I did go to the Macintosh HD and did erase. then I went to reinstall.... I called apple care and I had to do some terminal codes to get around it because my hard drive was corrupted....

Thanks anyways!

I'm having the same problem. I've erase the main disk also in Disk Utility and can't reinstall the OX because there's no disk mounted to install on it. Could you tell me what terminal codes apple told you that solve the problem? Thank you in advance.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
In the disk utility menu you will need to open terminal ( it's on one of the tabs on the top in the recovery menu) then I had to enter into terminal: "diskutil cs list" with out the "" . then u will need to highlight and copy the "logical volume" which has the many numbers and letters and then you will need to enter "diskutil cs [logical volume group here] delete" ... then when that is done you will have to go to disk utility in the menu and u will see ur hard drive come up and over the tab "Macintosh hd" u will see "untitled" and u will rename it to what ever you want then hit erase. then you will see the hard drive when u install osx

----------

Also I'd like to note; when you do reinstall it DONT do from "back up" do "as new machine" then after it is freshly installed it will say "back up from time machine" then u hit yes and it will ask u if you want the firevault and make sure u uncheck it!!! if you don't u would have to do the whole process again...

duns scotus

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2002
In the disk utility menu you will need to open terminal ( it's on one of the tabs on the top in the recovery menu) then I had to enter into terminal: "diskutil cs list" with out the "" . then u will need to highlight and copy the "logical volume" which has the many numbers and letters and then you will need to enter "diskutil cs [logical volume group here] delete" ... then when that is done you will have to go to disk utility in the menu and u will see ur hard drive come up and over the tab "Macintosh hd" u will see "untitled" and u will rename it to what ever you want then hit erase. then you will see the hard drive when u install osx

Thank you so much... however it seems to takes ages to erase it and mount again.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
It took like a minute and I have a solid state drive so I don't know if it will be longer for you...

duns scotus

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2002
It took like a minute and I have a solid state drive so I don't know if it will be longer for you...

I did a bad mistake: I started erasing the main drive (not the "Untitled" partition) and interrupted in the middle because it was taking too long. Now when I try to erase the partition it says "can't find mount point". A mess, can anyone help me to mount the "Untitled" drive, in order to reinstall the OS?

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
I did a bad mistake: I started erasing the main drive (not the "Untitled" partition) and interrupted in the middle because it was taking too long. Now when I try to erase the partition it says "can't find mount point". A mess, can anyone help me to mount the "Untitled" drive, in order to reinstall the OS?

uh oh.. I don't know you did. Do you have AppleCare?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I'm wondering if you mistyped that command I gave you or you missed something in the formatting steps. Because that cs delete command can be used three ways all with the exact same result.

You can do any of these three to do the same thing.

diskutil cs delete "Macintosh HD" (or whatever the volume name is)

diskutil cs delete disk1 (the logical disk name)

diskutil cs delete 3rg5s-.... (the long LVG number like Apple had you do)

----------

Can you see the disk itself above Untitled? From command-option-r Internet recovery try selecting the drive up top and erase.

duns scotus

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2002
Can you see the disk itself above Untitled? From command-option-r Internet recovery try selecting the drive up top and erase.

Thank you so much. Yes, I can see the above drive named "Untitled", but it is unmounted. I've tried again to erase the top drive (named "750.16 GB TOSHIBA MK7...") but is lasting ages again, it is stopped at "Unmounting disk", with the strapping blue & white running as like preparing to do it; but never goes to complete blue and give a time. An hour and a half have already passed and nothing... Is there a way to restore through terminal this drive?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thank you so much. Yes, I can see the above drive named "Untitled", but it is unmounted. I've tried again to erase the top drive (named "750.16 GB TOSHIBA MK7...") but is lasting ages again, it is stopped at "Unmounting disk", with the strapping blue & white running as like preparing to do it; but never goes to complete blue and give a time. An hour and a half have already passed and nothing... Is there a way to restore through terminal this drive?

Okay... so at least you can see the main drive itself.

Let's backup. What year/model etc Mac is this? What OS version? What caused you to do this to begin with? Were you having disk issues?

What you are describing almost sounds like a bad drive.

duns scotus

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2002
Okay... so at least you can see the main drive itself.

Let's backup. What year/model etc Mac is this? What OS version? What caused you to do this to begin with? Were you having disk issues?

What you are describing almost sounds like a bad drive.

I have no need to backup data (I'm going from a powerbook to this MBP, and the data is still in the powerbook).
It's a Macbook Pro (9,2) 13-inch mid 2012, Dua-core 2,9ghz, 8GB ram, and it has 750GB drive.
So, the Macbook pro (that I just acquired; second hand) was running very slow in the newly installed yosemite, and I've tried to reinstall factory OS, but after applying option+cmd r, I decided to erase the deleted space in the main drive (not the "Macintosh HD" partition) in Disk Utilities, and, because it was taking ages, I interrupted it in the middle (I know this was really stupid). So, now what was "Macintosh HD" is now the "Untitled" and is unmounted. When I try to erase it (to make it mount again), it says "can't find mount point". And when I try to erase the upper drive (with the factory name) it remains at that eternal state...

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

----------

Also I'd like to note; when you do reinstall it DONT do from "back up" do "as new machine" then after it is freshly installed it will say "back up from time machine" then u hit yes and it will ask u if you want the firevault and make sure u uncheck it!!! if you don't u would have to do the whole process again...

In an earlier post, you mentioned that this is finals week. May I ask, finals for what? Some sports tournament?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have no need to backup data (I'm going from a powerbook to this MBP, and the data is still in the powerbook).
It's a Macbook Pro (9,2) 13-inch mid 2012, Dua-core 2,9ghz, 8GB ram, and it has 750GB drive.
So, the Macbook pro (that I just acquired; second hand) was running very slow in the newly installed yosemite, and I've tried to reinstall factory OS, but after applying option+cmd r, I decided to erase the deleted space in the main drive (not the "Macintosh HD" partition) in Disk Utilities, and, because it was taking ages, I interrupted it in the middle (I know this was really stupid). So, now what was "Macintosh HD" is now the "Untitled" and is unmounted. When I try to erase it (to make it mount again), it says "can't find mount point". And when I try to erase the upper drive (with the factory name) it remains at that eternal state...

It does not sound like you did anything wrong. Even if you quit mid-format, you should be able to pick it back up.

Can you explain exactly what was happening is Yosemite. When you say slow, do you mean things like you would click Safari and it would take 30 seconds to launch. Beach balls all the time no matter what you are doing. That sort of thing?

Sometimes what happens is you can have a hard drive that is near death and all the thrashing around and file movement of an OS install can push it right over the edge, and I'm wondering if that is what happened here.

duns scotus

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2002
It does not sound like you did anything wrong. Even if you quit mid-format, you should be able to pick it back up.

Can you explain exactly what was happening is Yosemite. When you say slow, do you mean things like you would click Safari and it would take 30 seconds to launch. Beach balls all the time no matter what you are doing. That sort of thing?

Sometimes what happens is you can have a hard drive that is near death and all the thrashing around and file movement of an OS install can push it right over the edge, and I'm wondering if that is what happened here.

Yes it was stopping many times with the pointer ball with colours running often. It had also some flickering. But some hours before I installed the yosemite was slow but not like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.