Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ominx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. My infotainment system in my 2015 Outback supports dictating text messages. Unfortunately, it seems the bluetooth profiles in iOS 8 do not support this feature. When I try to send a text, I get the error message on my infotainment screen "this function is not supported by your mobile device." This works perfectly fine when using an Android based phone.

A while ago there was a third party bluetooth stack that could be installed that allowed for a more complete set of bluetooth profiles called BTStack. There is also Air Blue which allows OBEX file transfers and RSAP Server which was a Remote SIM Access Protocol. However, it seems as though none of these have really been updated in a while.

Is there anything out there that would extend the bluetooth stack or add profiles to allow this functionality?

Thanks!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. My infotainment system in my 2015 Outback supports dictating text messages. Unfortunately, it seems the bluetooth profiles in iOS 8 do not support this feature. When I try to send a text, I get the error message on my infotainment screen "this function is not supported by your mobile device." This works perfectly fine when using an Android based phone.

A while ago there was a third party bluetooth stack that could be installed that allowed for a more complete set of bluetooth profiles called BTStack. There is also Air Blue which allows OBEX file transfers and RSAP Server which was a Remote SIM Access Protocol. However, it seems as though none of these have really been updated in a while.

Is there anything out there that would extend the bluetooth stack or add profiles to allow this functionality?

Thanks!

1, many BTStack-based tweaks are fully compatible with iOS8 (I've personally tested BTStack GPS and BTC).

2, AirBlue Sharing isn't iOS8-compatible and, as it seems, the dev doesn't have the time to update it. (Which is a bit of pain for me as I actually did pay for the app and would prefer dev at least trying to making it still-usable on never OS'es.) Nevertheless, as OBEX has nothing to do with dictation, I don't think it'd be the biggest problem for you.

3, You should ask BTstack devs (e.g., that of BTStack GPS) whether it's possible to implement what you need in a self-standing, new Cydia hack.

ominx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
1, many BTStack-based tweaks are fully compatible with iOS8 (I've personally tested BTStack GPS and BTC).

2, AirBlue Sharing isn't iOS8-compatible and, as it seems, the dev doesn't have the time to update it. (Which is a bit of pain for me as I actually did pay for the app and would prefer dev at least trying to making it still-usable on never OS'es.) Nevertheless, as OBEX has nothing to do with dictation, I don't think it'd be the biggest problem for you.

3, You should ask BTstack devs (e.g., that of BTStack GPS) whether it's possible to implement what you need in a self-standing, new Cydia hack.

Thanks for the reply. For clarification, it seems the problem is related to actually sending the message and not the dictation. The system gets as far as "sending message" and then returns the error. That is what made me think it's related to OBEX. Maybe the system is trying to send a file of sorts to the phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.