Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MeeMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
Did the new Amazon Fire TV just end the future market for Apple TV?

With Amazon Fire TV you have access to Amazon Prime; which Amazon will never place on Apple TV.

So now it looks like a battle between iTunes and Amazon Prime.

How will Apple respond to the Amazon Fire TV?
:eek::apple:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm plenty happy with my Apple TV's and have little desire towards any of the competitors. It may not be the best in the way of multiple options, but it suits my needs.

XmeX

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
The only reason pushed me to get this product is mirroring FaceTime but after IOS 8 mirroring FT being incredibly sucks ... Thank you

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
When we want to see something on Amazon Prime, we AirPlay it to our Apple TV from our iPhone or iPad. Works quite well.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Until the Amazon Fire provide mirroring for iOS devices and Macs I don't see any threat for Apple devices. People with Android Phones may be able to do other stuff with the FireTV?

I like Amazon Prime, but to watch on the TV I use the PS3.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Watch Disney channels are the only thing keeping my ATV3 connected as every other device even the Fire TV plays them like mud. YouTube was also an exception but now there are ads in that so I use ProTube on the Fire TV.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

With Amazon Fire TV you have access to Amazon Prime; which Amazon will never place on Apple TV.

What is available through Amazon prime that is not available through itunes.

Last edited:

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012

Yes... but not just the Apple TV. Apple as whole has been destroyed by the Amazon Fire TV.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
When we want to see something on Amazon Prime, we AirPlay it to our Apple TV from our iPhone or iPad. Works quite well.

Until the Amazon Fire provide mirroring for iOS devices and Macs I don't see any threat for Apple devices.
Yep and Yep.

Personally, I have a Roku XDS that has had Amazon Prime longer than the Fire has been in existence. Not much reason to buy a Fire just for Amazon Prime. However, if you like to talk to your remote like Gary Busey, it would be your top choice.

busey.gif

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
TiVo, in addition to the other aggregators posted here, offers Amazon Prime, so it isn't impossible that Amazon would make it available to AppleTV. For $99 (or less at Best Buy and during sales) having an AppleTV is cheap enough to have just for its stream-anything-from-any-Apple-device abilities, including, as another poster mentioned, Amazon Prime.

I may not be the target demo, but I think AppleTV has been very poorly marketed; it's a much more useful device than most people know.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
TiVo, in addition to the other aggregators posted here, offers Amazon Prime, so it isn't impossible that Amazon would make it available to AppleTV. For $99 (or less at Best Buy and during sales) having an AppleTV is cheap enough to have just for its stream-anything-from-any-Apple-device abilities, including, as another poster mentioned, Amazon Prime.

I may not be the target demo, but I think AppleTV has been very poorly marketed; it's a much more useful device than most people know.

Agreed, but Apple doesn't appear to care to market it as their last classification of the device was a "hobby" and we've not seen any updates in a long time aside from adding new channels to it.

I do wish they'd update it some, perhaps let third-party dev's write for it. Then it would really take off I think.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
4K video it's the only main difference of interest if you have a 4K TV. However some reviews in cnet indicate that between streaming 4K and a Blu-Ray disc, there is still some perception differences that the streaming is not significantly better than the disc. Either way Netflix which also has some 4K content is available in almost all devices.
I don't remember but can't you stream Amazon prime from an iOS device to AppleTV?

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008

I have Prime and Netflix. I have an ATV and Roku. I NEVER purchase video from iTunes. For me it's not Apple vs Amazon,it's Netflix vs Amazon. And Netflix makes Prime look like a bad joke currently. I have seen a rumor that Amazon is about to make a huge upgrade to their video offerings,bringing it more in line with Netflix,possibly at higher cost. Speculation is that they may add a tier with better selection for more money,but no real facts yet. We will see.

As for the hardware,for the price it's worth it to for me have both. Each has capabilities the other doesn't have. No compelling reason for me to add a Fire at this point,though.

As to the Fire's threat to the ATV,um...no. Any more than the Fire Phone is killing the iPhone. I suspect that will be even more true when the long overdue ATV hardware update comes out,if we live that long.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have Prime and Netflix. I have an ATV and Roku. I NEVER purchase video from iTunes. For me it's not Apple vs Amazon,it's Netflix vs Amazon. And Netflix makes Prime look like a bad joke currently. I have seen a rumor that Amazon is about to make a huge upgrade to their video offerings,bringing it more in line with Netflix,possibly at higher cost. Speculation is that they may add a tier with better selection for more money,but no real facts yet. We will see.

As for the hardware,for the price it's worth it to for me have both. Each has capabilities the other doesn't have. No compelling reason for me to add a Fire at this point,though.

As to the Fire's threat to the ATV,um...no. Any more than the Fire Phone is killing the iPhone. I suspect that will be even more true when the long overdue ATV hardware update comes out,if we live that long.

I used to have Prime but rarely ever watched videos from it because the selection wasn't as good as Netflix, and for the longest time, I couldn't stream it to my big screen and either had to watch on the iPad or the Mac, which I prefer not to do.

But I canceled my Prime this year because I wasn't make good use of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.